Why does my pen drive say ”The disk is write-protected”?

Anonymous April 25, 2011

My pen drive says ”The disk is Write-Protected” everytime I paste, cut, delete etc. I tried all your steps you said to ”Batman” but still couldnt work. Can you help me out? Thx

1. Ashish Rules

none of the answer worked...as i'm also facing the same error on my pend drive!

2. Raj_helboy

i sat on my pendrive when it was connected to laptop since then it doesnt work what to do it doesnt look like broken

Anonymous,

did the answers above help you solve the problem with your pen drive? Do let us know in case you need more help or what did the trick for you.

Hello, try the following:

-- on your taskbar click on the safely remove hardware icon
    -- unplug your pen drive
    -- plug pen drive back in
    -- try saving files

5. Roy

Apologies if any of this was already posted in a previous question (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to when you mention steps that were said to "Batman").

My first suggestion is to go to "My Computer" if you're using Windows (Finder/Nautilus/etc. if you're using another OS) and right-click on the drive. Click properties, and see if it has "Read Only" checked. If so, un-check it.

If that doesn't work, assuming you can still read and access files on the drive, copy them to your hard drive and then try reformatting the flash drive.

If you've already done the above steps, let us know what specific things you have tried and hopefully someone will have additional suggestions.