Why does my pen drive transfer files with different speeds depending on where I connect it?

Sahil Dave October 7, 2010

I have a pen drive which operates on 2 MB/sec when data is written on the drive through my laptop, but 6 MB/sec when written through desktop.

Why does the speed vary? Does it also vary according to number of files, size of files, processor etc.? Pease tell me all the reasons.

1. Josh Fox

Another thing to note is that hard drives operate differently. Most laptop hard drives (especially from the factory) will work at 5400 RPM, and most desktop hard drives will work at 7200 RPM. This along with the speed of the port, what's running on the computer, the power of the computer, and yes, the number/size of the files will make the biggest differences. Another thing that I've noticed is that the temperature of the machine can make a rather noticeable difference. Cooler computers will work faster than hot ones.

Also, most flash drives will read faster than they write, so putting files on it will take longer than taking them off. Some, especially cheaper ones, will even take longer to write to it than it would take to transfer the files over a wireless network.

2. Ryan

It will depend on your computers processing power, the hard drive you are copying the data from and the speed of the USB port (although most are USB 2.0 now days). The slowest device will bottleneck your speeds preventing anything that may be faster from reaching its fullest potential.

Also if you are trying to do more than one thing on the computer at once, it will have to balance the copying of the data between everything else that is running on the computer which will limit your speeds.