Why is my pen drive not detected by any PC?

Arun Sekhar July 24, 2012

I am using a Kingstons 4GB pen drive. When I connect it on any PC there is no action. Sometimes the power light of the pen drive blinks, but never shows an icon or any action on any PC.

I have tried it on every PC, but the pen drive is not detected. I have tried to find it by device manger, bur couldn’t get it. What else can I do?

1. Rami Cruz

Technique I saw when flash drive not working.
    When USB Flash drive is not being recognized at all my any PC in any USB port, I recommend to try this (this is no a spam video, its really does work):

2. lakshmi

As the tip of my pendrive is shaky it was working when i lift and hold it. So I applied a little Quick fix glue at the tip as it was shaky and later totally it stopped working. My PC is not able o detect it at all. Any suggestions for this.

3. dhanunjayarao chunduri

may it's damaged in internal.

There are a lot of counterfeit flash drives being sold in cut rate stores both physical and online.. Some have very cheap components while others are just empty cases. If the price was too good to be true, you probably got one.

5. Mohammed Ansaf

Hello.......try this program "HP USB Disk storage Format Tool"

It support all usb manufacturer not only HP

6. vijay singh

I am using a Kingstons 4GB pen drive. When I connect it on any PC it show icon but it not open.

I have tried it on every PC, but the pen drive is not open.device manger. What else can I do?

7. arunbalaji

my pendrive is not working in my computer in not open & formate no t formate in pendrive in virus attack of my pedrive

8. Bhabani

when i insert pendrive after strating of pc it doesnot shows the pendrive but when i restart pc with pendrive connected then it shows the pendrive. what is problem how can i solve it?

9. Kaashif Haja

Few of my pen drives which i had earlier were not detected. I guess i should have read this article before throwing them out!!

10. Chinu Mehta

try this...it will surly work for you..

11. Christopher Harlan

Your hard drive may be fried, but luckily in todays market you can easily pick up a 16gb for $20 or less :D

12. Steve Montgomery

Since you mentioned that you couldn't find the device in Device Manager, it makes me think that you probably need to go to the Kingston website and download the latest driver for the pen. Then install the driver and try it again.

13. Veduruparthy Bharat

go to devise manger and check for ur usb devise , if found uninstall it , and plugin ur usb again, if it dosent work , i dont know !!!

14. Mike Green

Try putting it in the USB port

15. Wiwka Masyuka

You have to open your flash drive, then find two column of metal ports (very tiny bars). In each column there are 25 ports. Try to shortcut ports number 29 and 30 using a simple needle and put it in your computer with these two ports shortcutted. You can take out the needle after your computer detects the flash drive. After detecting your flash drive you can format it and start using the "safely remove device" mode. If it doesn't help, then the problem is not in the software

16. Dylan Brendan

Try formating the flash drive.

• Muz Rileks

The best way to do :)

• Suman Acharya

how to format if it doesn't show ?

17. UD98

maybe its broken

18. ferdinan Sitohang

What George Monroe is a good options, since our consideration is may be your windows infected by a virus or something, another option if you dont have a linux or live cd linux bistro is by using your laptop or other laptop. You can plug in to the laptop, turn it on and go to bios setting. See if your pen drive is detectable by your laptop bios, if your laptop can detecting the pen drive, i assure that may be its because viruses, but if not, then your pen drive is already broken.

19. Oluwaphemmy Popoola

all said and done, try as much as posible to recover/extract all your important data, either by visiting a good tech or investing your time on web surfing about it, at least to be rest assured

20. Shakirah Faleh Lai

well if it cannot be detected by all winows pc you tried then maybe it is damaged; Try on Linux or Mac and format there.

1. Start > search bar -> CMD and press enter
    2. type< diskpart
    3. type< list disk
    see if your USB key is listed there

• gaurav

no the pen drive is not showing there.? what should i do now.?

• tamal

my drive is showing here but how to select and go next step

• harry

i tryed it but it was not detected there

• Priyank Trivedi

my pendrive has the same problem as Mr. Gaurav. Pendrive is not showing there.. itss nt detected in any place. not in my computer or in device manager.. In device manager mass storage device is shown bt by doing update driver or uninstall option problem cant get solved.. i cant open my pendrive in any cases. is it currupted???

did you tried on another pc with different windows OS version?
        1. Start > search bar -> CMD with adminitrative rights and press enter
        2. type< diskpart
        3. type< list disk
        if it is not listed there then USB key is corrupted, now sometime even it is listed there and we succeed to have the icon in My computer it doesn't mean that windows will open it the damage of the usb key can be on several level. Sometime can be a virus that is preventing to open the USB key and to explore.

22. George Monroe

if you unplug a thumb drive before ejecting it, it can break. if you have tryed a couple different os and linux there is a software call test disk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    dont be afraid just follow the instructions on the website, if this dosent see the partition you may want to consult a vendor that recovers data, if you have important information.
    to eject from operating systems there will be an icon it the tool tray bottom right, linux will have the icon in fiesystem, or my computer

• Priyank Trivedi

thank you for your reply..i think my pendrive is currupted..so is there any solution to get out this and i can use my pendrive??

• indra

sir i kept password to a pendrive & now it not detecting plz help me in resolving this prb thank u sir