How can I make PDFs load properly on Adobe Reader?

Joanne June 4, 2011

Why do PDFs on Adobe sometimes load up with the blue bar filled in, but the page is blank? And how do I get the size to load at 100% instead of 161%? Their help forum is no help.

Joanne,

were you able to fixthe problem with Adobe Reader? Please let us know. Thank you!

• Joanne

I am still working on it.  Thanks.

• Joanne

Gustavo Ibarguengoytia was able to help me with the size of the PDF's and we decided that the blue box/blank page is probably a website issue.  I now have normal size PDF's opening.   Thank you.

2. Joanne

I checked for updates--I am current. The problem occurs only occasionally with billing statements and pattern files that I try to download to my documents file. They are from websites that I visit often.  Sometimes I am able to get the PDF the next day.  What is most aggravating, though, is the size of the download--161% is so big!  I can't seem to change the size in the dialog box.  All changes revert back to the original after closing the box.  The help box has a repair installation available--when would I have to use that?  There is no info about why I would need to.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

By size of download you mean the default zoom the file opens at startup? If that is the case you can change that:
      1.- Go to Edit -> Preferences
      2.- From left side list select Page Presentation (again my system in spanish so I can be something different it should be the 5th item on the list).
      3.- The second field should say something like "Zoom" or "Zoom in/Zoom out" from the dropdown list select Adjust Visible (should be the 4th option on the list). Now everytime you open a file it will zoom out untill it fits entirely in your screen. You can fiddle with this option to get the result that fits you best.

If the PDF files keep giving you problems you could clear your browser's cache in order to garantee a fresh download everytime. If you need help with this let me know what internet browser you are using (Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, etc.)

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Before re-downloading a file make sure you delete it from your computer so you save a new file instead of overwriting an old one.

• Joanne

When I go to the preferences and change zoom to "fit visible" it only stays there until I close the dialog box.  The box seems to be too large for my screen (19 inch monitor)--there is no apply button on the bottom and I can't shorten the page from the bottom.  The documents, general and page display screens are the only ones I can't OK changes to.  I did put the "show page as actual size" on the toolbar so that makes it easier than changing the number, but I would prefer to have it default at 100%.  I am using Firefox and cleared the cache--but I don't know if that will solve the blue box/blank page problem as that is an occasional thing.  The files I download are all new so they are not overwriting.  Thanks for your help.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

I can only think of two solutions if I understood you correctly:

Can you "tab" all the way through to the OK/Apply button?
          Perhaps you can rotate your screen. On Win 7 right click your Desktop and select Screen resolution. On the new window where it says Orientation, choose Portrait. It will be a bit disorientating at first since your mouse will behave differently, but it will increase the "available height" so the dialog box can fit in your screen.

• Joanne

Thank you--I was able to tab down after setting zoom at 100% and it now opens PDF's correctly.  I didn't realize I could tab down--it still didn't show the apply box, but I hit enter and it worked. I tried it on the other too large screens and it worked there, too.  The blue box/blank page issue is possibly a website issue, so I will try the next day when it happens again.  Thanks again for your help.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Great stuff! If you are still having problems with the pdf file itself you could try contacting the maker of that file and letting them know about the issue, if it is persistent and it only happens with PDF's from that source then the problem could very well be the source itself.

Thanks for your feedback too!

• Joanne

I found the answer to the blue box/blank page in the Firefox help pages (enter Adobe in search box).  Go to Firefox, Edit/options and click on Applications.  Under Adobe Acrobat Document application/pdf, click on "Use Adobe Reader (default)" instead of Adobe Acrobat.  I tried PDF's that I could not open before and now they work! 

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

WOW! Persistence does pay off! Great find Joanne!

3. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

First things first, are you using the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader? If not you can get it here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ It will automatically detect your language and OS. After you download it try updating it. Lauch Acrobat Reader go to "Help>Loook for Updates" (it can be something else since mine is in Spanish). After you have updated the software close it and try opening one of the PDFs you had trouble with. Did the problem persist? If it didn't then AWESOME! If it did, then there are two things that I can think of that are causing the problem:1.- The file is currupted.2.- Some elements in the file are incompatible with either your machine configuration.What's the source of this file? Is it something you created or is it something you downloaded?