Why is my PC slow after installing Firefox and deleting malware?

Anonymous May 8, 2014

I recently downloaded the new Firefox, I generally use Internet Explorer for all browsing. After downloading Firefox I started getting pop-up ads on both Firefox and IE. I found the culprit and deleted the program. The ads are now gone but all my browsers are now terribly slow.

I also run some cloud based applications that are not working properly. Any suggestions?

1. Mike Merritt

You say: "I found the culprit and deleted the program" - but how did you delete it ? Even Window's "Uninstall Programs" doesn't do much of a job. You need something like Revo Uninstaller (free) which really works hard to get all of the hidden bits of a program un-installed. If the program that was causing the problem was a commonly available program, then sometimes, after a bad uninstall, you have to re-install it once again, and then use Revo to really clean it out. (The re-install is necessary, so that Revo can find the program in order to remove it) ... Weird Ehhh !!

2. Greg Joiner

What site did you download FIrefox from? Make sure it was ONLY from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ -If you got it from anywhere else you got junkware with it!

3. CJ Cotter

The problem may not be your browsers and cloud services, themselves, but that the malware damaged files that all of them need in order to function. Let me tweak sclev's statement, slightly. Uninstallers leave a lot of things behind. I would be suspicious of remaining files, folders, and registry items being left behind that will continue to cause problems after a reinstall. BEFORE doing a clean reinstall of Firefox, do a search through your hard drive and registry for the words "Mozilla" and "Firefox". Whatever you find with those words, delete it. Reboot. THEN reinstall of Firefox.

It's unlikely to be Firefox as such, but you probably have traces of the malware on your machine. Follow Hovsep's suggestion and scan your machine thoroughly and most likely that will solve the problem.

5. sclev

In addition to what Hovsep A said, you should also completely uninstall Firefox and reinstall. It seems like the malware that you deleted corrupted part of Firefox and since you deleted it the easiest way to fix the issue will be to completely reinstall Firefox. And make sure you only download Firefox from the official website.

Normally Firefox should not cause this problem. Perhaps you have malware infection.
    Boot to safe mode and do scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware and Superantispyware