Why does my PC shut down automatically?

susendeep dutta May 31, 2011

I have Windows XP SP3, Intel Pentium D Dual Core 2.8 GHz, 250GB Seagate HDD, 400W iball SMPS,ATX form cabinet, 1GB RAM, 96MB onboard graphics. I have no graphics card. I have 15 mins backup UPS.

I wasn’t doing any resource intensive task on my PC. Whenever I work on my PC, after some time (say 10 mins), my PC turns off automatically. Even the UPS turns off and turns on after that. There’s no power cut when this happens.

So why this happens?

1. Abhihek Sachan

Same probelem i also have when i work in my laptop after 45 min. it shutdowns autometically....Please tell me that how can i fix it.....

Check Task Scheduler and see if there is any instructions to shut down laptop after 45 min, if yes just delete that.

Check Event viewer to see any log details the reason.

install whocrashed
      http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
      see if the minidump will tell you the responsible
      http://www.pc-tools-reviews.com/whocrashed-review/

turn off all those power saving settings

other reason can be driver conflict, you might want to uninstall video driver, reboot and let install windows a new driver.

uninstall your antivirus and see if this can help, if no whutdown then either reinstall a fresh copy or get another antivirus.

perhaps to clean laptop from dust.

Hello, most times computers shut down because of heat, specially laptops. You could try cleaning the vents and fans but to do that properly you would have to dissassemble laptop. I would recommend taking it to a service centre. Of course they could be other reasons for this to happen. Are you doing something specific/using a program when this happens?

First step should be to check the event viewer for possible clues. There should be entries matching the time when the computer shut down.

2. amythhomas

Check your power source if the timing is always the same that's probably the thing causing it..OR Else may be it is due to some anti virus..

http://www.instantappz.com/tomcat-apache.php

3. Sean-to

If you tried plugging your pc straight to the wall and it still shuts down, remove the memory from the current slot and try another one. that sloved my problem

4. Vampire G

hiiiiiii

5. Robertpowell12321

I don't know much about the above problems mentioned, such as VPS... But I do know that I had similar problems as far as my computer shutting down. I found out that the computer was over heating due to bad ventilation. I would suggest that if fixing or trying to fix the VPS thing doesn't work then you try what I mentioned.

• Susendeep Dutta

My PC gets overheated when I watch youtube videos and do video conversion and my monitor gets turn off.Yours tip is also worth considering and I'm everyday taking necessary steps to release any stress on my PC.

Hello, also if possible try to get a discreet memory card as oppose to having the onboard video with so little memory.  That onboard video card shares the memory installed with your system...and you only have 1 Gb of physical memory installed.  Pretty much your system is using the virtual memory to keep running and depending on the speed of your harddrive it could be really slow. 

Pretty much when computers restarts like that it is an overheating problem.  Make sure the inside of your case is free of dust and also that the cooler is dust free.  Install extra fans in your case if possible. 

• Susendeep Dutta

My PC technician has cleaned my whole case including stock cooler.He has also replaced my heat paste too.I have recently cleaned my computer case two days ago.But the AUX,CPU temp. is still rising even on normal usage too like web surfing,arranging folders.I also hear some vibrating sound from my case and I couldn't identify it,whether is it from HDD or from CPU fan or something else.

There I see no scope for extra fans.Also I see that only Nvidia 8600GT will be able to fit in my case which is not recommended nowadays.

6. Susendeep Dutta

Thanks for the response.I will do every steps mentioned above and will fix it.

I agree with Bruce it sounds a lot like your UPS is the source of the problem.
    For example if you overload your UPS it will simply not have enough power and everything will go down. Another option could be that your UPS has some internal defect causing it to shut down and therefor your computer.

A dead UPS battery could also cause this problem but it should usually warn you with regular annoying sounds about this since they always do a battery check during bootup.

Open the event view and check the System log for error messages relating to Power or your UPS.  It should tell you what is happening.  If you can't find anything there, remove the UPS from the equation and let us know if you are still seeing the same behavior.  From your brief description, I would likely conclude that there is a problem with the UPS, not the computer itself.