Why does my PC keep restarting itself?
Question by john miller /

My computer keeps restarting itself. It sometimes stays open for 10-45 minutes and restarts again. And sometimes restarts before even going to logon screen. And after the automatic restart, Windows says that some of the files of Windows are corrupt.

And sometimes when I open an application, it crashes over and over again. And says that some of Windows is corrupt, but the files get OK when I restart the computer manually.

I’ve already formatted my PC for like 10 times because of this problem, but it still does not get fixed. And also it displays a lot of errors while installing Windows and also restarts automatically without any warning while installing Windows.

And the most funny part is that when I open the PC in Safe Mode, it does not restart automatically.

I think that it is a RAM problem or something? Because I already changed the processor, power supply and the hard disk even.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• ram

From your description of “restarting itself” at random times my first impression would be a hardware problem – most likely the memory.

(1) make sure your RAM is ok using memtest86
    * If you have some Linux Live CD there should be a memtest86 boot option too.

(2) make sure everything is within save temperatures e.g. using HW Monitor
    save values are around:
    Processor < 70°C
    GPU < 95°C
    SYS/AUX/CPU < 50°C  * sometimes readings are wrong (ridiculous high)
    Hard Drive < 50°C

(3) if you recently installed some new hardware make sure all power cables are connected properly * In case of a new graphics card make sure your power supply is sufficient

If (1) shows an error try to re-seat the RAM by taking them out and putting them back in again. If this doesn’t help you will have to get new modules.

For (2) your shutdown and unplug your computer, clean out the fans, and next time you turn it on make sure all fans are working.

For (3) it could be one of those rare cases where the power supply is faulty or near death. But this is like the last last possibility.

Corrupt or problematic Windows files should usually trigger a Blue Screen. However, by default Windows is set to automatic restart on such an error and with the speed of timely hardware you barely notice it.
    * see @FIDELIS1:disqus post

Hello, to finally troubleshoot your problem, make sure to turn automatic restart off.  If you do it this way, the computer will not restart by it will show you a blue screen with an error.  Once you have the information for error, you can research it or post it here.  What is your operating system?

You can accomplish this in two different ways.  The first way is by doing the following:

— restart computer
    — keep pressing F8 for advanced menu
    — scroll down untill you find the following entry:

disable automatic restart in system failure

— highlight entry and then press enter

The second way is by doing the following:

XP:
    — click on start key + Pause/Break key at same time
    — click on advanced tab
    — under startup and Recovery, click on settings
    — under systen failure, uncheck automatically restart
    — make sure option to write to system log is marked
    — click on ok and then ok

Vista/windows 7:
    — click on start key + Pause/break key
    — on left hand column, click on Advances system settings
    — enter administrator password if needed
    — under startup and recovery click on settings
    — under system failure, uncheck automatically restart

Usually if the computer doesn’t restart or get a blue screen when in safemode, it means that problem is software based not hardware.  Once you do the steps above, and you get a BSOD, make sure to record the error you are getting.  If in the error it gives you a file with a .sys extension, make sure to record it too.  Post results here, or you can use a program such as the following to research/fix error:

Buescreenview:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

whocrashed:
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

And finally, you could try running system file checker in safemode.  Make sure to have your installation disc handy in case you needed.  To do so, try the following:

— click on start
    — type cmd in search box (if in xp, click on run and type cmd)
    — highlight cmd entry in search results, highlight entry and right click on it
    — select run as administrator
    — when command prompt opens, type the following:

sfc /scannow

— let the scan run

Another common reason for restarts is overheating.  Did you make sure to add thermal paste between cpu and cooler fan?  Is the cpu and the cooler fan set properly?  If you decide to reinstall operating system again, make sure to record any errors you get when installing. 

If you want to make sure your memory is ok, you can test it with the following software.  Make sure to run at least 6 passes with it.  It could take a while:

http://www.memtest86.com/

well if you formatted and installed windows (genuine dvd) again and again, then perhaps to change the cmos battery.

ALso do notice that in safe mode the screen resolution is different (by default, Safe Mode normally has a screen resolution of just 800×600) and so perhaps the graphic card has to be checked.