Why won’t my PC restart properly?

Igor Rizvi? October 4, 2012

I have a problem restarting my PC when clicking the restart button in the Start menu. The PC restarts but can’t boot up again, I don’t get any response from my LCD monitor, but the tower is running. I can only restart it manually by hand, clicking on the tower button.

Any suggestions?

1. C.

Ok so this may seem super simple but it worked for me.. go to start menu and type in msconfig. Then under the general tab it should say startup selection. Make sure "normal startup" is selected and apply the changes. Then restart the computer. I hope this works for you too!

2. Nikhil Chandak

ask the PC company about the problem to repair it

3. patz

1..go to my computer right click
    2..click on manage
    3..then click on divice manager you will see the list of all your drivers
    then click on system divice
    and you will see divice of power butten and sleep butten and many more but try to see if some your divice has an exclamation mark on it then i think thats your problem ..... to fix it go to internet and download a new drives then install...

in some cases the ram is only weak and not completely down. You hear beeps only when the ram is completely useles... I had a ram which wasn't working properly and so my PC used to restart every now and then but it never beeped me.

• Igor Rizvi?

I already runed the ;Memtest,and i find no problem what so ever with the ram stability or weak down

5. kumar raja

*Open Run and then type 'Cleanmgr' and it will clean the selected
    Check Ur RAM and Clean it
    *Check ur Power Main cords
    *My suggestion i think once i faced this Some and know Antivirus Program will Corrupt and restart like this so U can Format Ur PC
    If it not work consult any Expert

Did you use contact cleaner on connectors before you reassembled your components especially RAM slots and Video card connector. Also use a utility to check CPU temperature during normal use. If its near shutdown temp, restarting may put it over limit. Startup from power button may give it time to cool. Replace thermal paste if this is the case after cleaning CPU and heat sink (contact cleaner sprayed on wiper works well for this)

• Igor Rizvi?

Temperatures are around 38 *C ....

7. ashish khajuria

This might be a issue of power supply. When you trying to restart your PC your SMPS might have not able to support your CPU. Whenever you shut down your PC and start it will give enough power to start it up. So you can try another SMPS.

• Igor Rizvi?

Thanks for the post,Im hearing some strange noise from time to time from my psu , so ill try to swap another one,

8. Igor Rizvi?

http://oi48.tinypic.com/fmrreb.jpg this is how it looks like when i restart my pc

• Kannon Y

Those graphics look like something out of a BIOS splashscreen. Intuitively, we would want to eliminate the BIOS/motherboard as a potential culprit. That means you may want to try a firmware update (try reading the list of bug fixes for the firmware update before doing so) and/or reseating the CMOS battery before continuing.

I Googled the problem and did not find anything exactly pertaining to what you have (which I've never seen before).

Despite never having seen this problem before, in any basic trouble-shooting scenario, one of the most simplistic first steps would be to disconnect all non-essential equipment, such as DVD drive, all but one stick of RAM (and so on) then attempt to recreate the issue. If the problem does not persist, then you have successfully connected the issue to one of the disconnected components.

However, if a piece of hardware is SLOWLY going bad, and you're getting intermittant problems, then that sounds like a faulty power supply unit (a bad capacitor usually).

Sometimes a failing capacitor will start to cause inexplicable behavior, such as bizarre power off/on conditions. The most common source of the fault is either in the motherboard or the power supply.

9. dhanunjayarao chunduri

clean the RAM and then try again

10. Igor Rizvi?

Update: Im getting some scrambled pixels on the top of the lcd monitor ...along side ,from left to right .. its small...around 0.5 cm wide .... with some sort of scrambled pixels...does this help???

11. Bodi Hemanth

re install the operating system It must solve the problem

12. Dave Rimmer

Clicked on post sorry.

Click on Startup and Disable all, Restart see what happens if all is well then re-enable one at a time and Restart until you find which starup item that is causing the problem..
    If you still have the problem do the same again but when Systems Configuration opens click on the Services tab then click Hide All Microsoft Services then click Disable All press restart see what happens if all is well then restart them one at a time restarting computer each time. If your problem is still there then you have at least ruled out Services & Startup items, hope this helps.

• Igor Rizvi?

Tryed it ,nothing still ...thanks for posting

13. Dave Rimmer

Hi Igor.
    It could be a Service or Startup program that is causing the problem.
    Click Start/ Type MSCONFIG right click/Run As Administrator/ Systems Configuration will open.

14. Kavita

because its a pc
    get mac...or install linux...

• Igor Rizvi?

mac isnt a pc? Linux isnt bugged?

15. M B

So when you click on the button to start the PC - it boots up correctly and you are able to logon?

It the OS own command for reboot hangs it could be something in the environment path. I should try to reinstall SP1.

• Igor Rizvi?

YEs ,that is true.i can shut it down without a problem and start it again,but when i restart it i dont get any respond from my lcd monitor,but the fans inside my pc are running ok

16. Swaroop Nunna

Problem will be with RAM or BIOS.

17. Yashodhan Bhatt

Kindly provide more details to help in the problem diagnosis..

• Igor Rizvi?

I cant restart it trough the start menu option in win7 64bit.I have to restartit by clicking the button on the pc tower ,when it start again i can hear the pc starting to run the fans,but i dont see any respond on my lcd monitor

• Yashodhan Bhatt

Try disassembling all components of your PC for once and reassemble them after cleaning...check for registry errors by using something better than freewares like CCleaner...hope that helps...

• Igor Rizvi?

Already tryed it,but nothing,thansk for the response

18. Sergio Casas

This appears to be a hardware issue. I have a similar problem with my laptop (cant restart with the option, have to do a cold reboot)
    What I can recommend is to give some maintenance to you computer internals and check for anything wrong with your graphcs card.
    Without actually seeing it, I cant give more info

• Igor Rizvi?

There is nothing wrong with my graphic card ,it is working normally,the shut down option works,but restart doesnt..

19. James Franklin

Pretty sure it's a problem with your Ram.

• Igor Rizvi?

Im not getting any beeping sounds

20. virendra

I think when your computer tries to boot up you may have plugged in a pen drive or any other device.
    and in your bios you may had set the boot device preference to usb device.
    This may be the reason.

21. vasu gupta

there may be some problem with the ram replace or repair it

22. GrrGrrr

when u say it restarts, but not boot - what actually u see on the LCD?

Your solution depends at which point the restart-boot is getting stuck.

• Igor Rizvi?

when it boots up after restarting..i can hear the pc starting,but i dont see any respond on the lcd... but when I shut down my pc (from start menu) everything is ok

• GrrGrrr

Did u try to repair the OS installation? It might fix the issue

23. Nethu Alahakoon

check your drivers.. this myt be the issue.

24. Prashant yadav

sorry bro i was unable to add screen shots

25. Prashant yadav

hi Igor ,

1. Boot to the System Recovery Options screen using your Windows 7 installation disk or system repair disc.

2. Select the Startup Repair option.

3. Startup Repair will now scan your computer to attempt to find and fix any startup problems. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs. If repairs are not successful, you'll see a summary of the problem and links to contact information for support. Your computer manufacturer might include additional assistance information.

4. If problems cannot be found, then click on Next.
    NOTE: You can click on the View diagnostic and repair details link to see a detailed summary of what Startup Repair has done.

A) Click on the Restart button to return to the Windows 7 log on screen.

Hope so this works for you

26. hamad3914

Probably check your BIOS settings and also unninstall unimportant software. As my other friends suggest you can also conduct start up repair and also download a free antivirus like AVG or Avast or if not you can download Microsoft Security Essentials that does the job and run a FULL system scan.

27. Amit Sinha

try to repair your os with your recovery option you had

28. HLJonnalagadda

I had a similar issue and was able to fix that by using the DVD.

• Ahmed Khalil

what do you mean by using DVD

• Igor Rizvi?

CAn you please respond in detail a little bit? :)

• HLJonnalagadda

This is why I should've seen what I was entering. I used the Win 7 DVD, booted in with that to the bit where it says Install Now. There you can select Tools, and then you should see something along the lines of System Recovery. Running this should fix it.

• Igor Rizvi?

Ok ,ill try that

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Sure, and let me know how it goes.

• Igor Rizvi?

Tryed and did startup repair,but nothing changed

remove the ram and clean it then reinsert and see if this will help.

go to run and type troubleshooting, then launch it and scroll to System and Security and choose Run Maintenance Tasks.

Clean your windows CCleaner, wise registry cleaner...

1) boot on windows dvd
    2) In the System Recovery Options screen, click Startup Repair

• Ahmed Khalil

i think if the RAM is the problem it will give him BEEP sound when start

• hamad3914

Yes it beeps like 5 times and keeps running but you dont see anything. In this case just take out the RAM and put it back in.

• Isaac Elesha

i addition,it shuold still not work with manual restart if it is the RAM...