Why does this PC say it needs to reinstall Windows, but then only reboot?

Juan Carlos Espinosa Agudelo October 10, 2012

So (irrelevant story here) the cousin of a friend of my mom asked me to come over to her apartment, because a couple days beforehand, her cousin and son were fooling around with her PC and when it started acting/doing weird they just said ‘Virus!’ and shut the computer down.

They didn’t boot the PC since, so I was the first to do it and the first thing I saw in the middle of the boot up(After it said “activating/booting up services” or something like that): Windows install not complete(The PC and message is in Dutch though, but that serves no relevance). So first I asked her how long she had been using the PC(I thought it might be a new computer and she just never finished installing it), but she told me she had it for months.

After that I hit Ok to see what would happen and it said it would restart to re-install Windows. Then it restarted and the exact same message popped up once more. So now I’m wondering.

What’s the next step to take after this? And my apologies for not knowing if the PC used XP or 7.

Reinstall everything and save yourself some time., When you format the hard drive, delete it to make sure all the shite is well gone.

• Drew Butler

I agree

2. Harish Jonnalagadda

Thinking a fresh install would be the best bet. Using a Windows disc for recovery might work, and then it might not. So just do a clean install.

Use SARDU, boot on it and scan for malware
    http://www.sarducd.it/

once clean up is done see if you can boot it and the weird messages are gone. Next step will be to repair Windows or to re-install/Upgrade.

4. jonstewart

Because fresh copy of the windows install

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

seems the windows files have been deleted or some sort of thing happened. try booting with a windows disc, and repair the pc. it would make it ok since, some of the files are missing. if problem persists, boot with a windows live CD , backup the drive and reinstall windows.