Why won’t my PC recognize my Sony Xperia phone?
Question by Jonny Allen /

When I try to connect my Sony Xperia SK17i to my PC it just doesn’t recognize it, sometimes it will charge it but that’s all, I cant transfer files using the cable , is there a specific cable i need or will any that charge it work?

• Tulus Wibowo

Great Thanks, now I can work again…

• Dimal Chandrasiri

this is pretty basic as for my question from the Kannon Y said. you have to first see whether you have the right data cable which the sony company provided. if that’s the cable, then please let me know what operating system you are on and did you install the PC companion on you PC.. if you’ve already done that, please go to settings on you mobile and do the following steps..

Settings -> Xperia -> Connectivity -> USB ConnectionMode ->check Mass Strogae Mode

this will make the device be used as a standard flash drive. this will install as a basic flash in you OS so most of the Systems will discover it as a removable device!

• Dics

Thanks a ton for the help! It worked……. You saved me from a lot of misery……………… God bless u!

• xperia neo L

alhamdullilah….. YEAH… this working.. :) Thank you !!! Dimal Chandrasiri , Jonny Allen ,

• Xperia Go

i did check the Mass Storage Mode !! still wen i click on pc companion nothing happens….Specific System Requirements mandatory ???

• john

plain speaking and very helpful, thanks so much

• Imesh Chandrasiri

Thank you for all of you positive replies! Glad that My answer could help you all! :) and for Xperia Go, when you are using your mobile as a mass storage device, please check whether it detects the device! ( As I can remember, PC companion only works with MTP mode! ) if not try putting it on to MTP mode, same steps as in my first answer and connect it! if PC companion doesn’t detect your phone, please uninstall the software and reinstall it! since some times there can be bugs that makes a device undetectable!

if all of the above fails, check the device by connecting it to another computer!

• Soimah Chandrasiri

Hahahahaha…. Thanks Imesh

• Dimal Chandrasiri

you are welcome Soimah.. Interesting that you’ve got my surname! :D :O

• Nikhil Chandak

or the conecter from which u r connecting the mobile to ur PC
    would be bad

• Kannon Y

Hello Jonny,

I’ve seen this problem before on MUO Answers.

However, you ask the right question – yes, there is a special kind of USB cable that you must have before connecting to your computer. It’s called a data cable. A lot of handset companies only include charging cables, not data cables. They’re very cheap and are pretty much universal – one size fits all (MicroUSB is the dominant standard). Amazon has them for about 2 dollars each.

However, in the event a data cable doesn’t work, try reading the first article linked to, above. It has instructions for troubling shooting the SK17i.