Why does my PC make me press F1 to start?
Question by imran /

Whenever I boot my PC, it wants me to press F1 to continue. How can I remove this requirement?

• Utsav chauhan

Whenever I boot my PC, it wants me to press F1 to continue. How can I remove this requirement? My pc is HP Compaq dx2480 ! Please help me out .

• rana sunny

when i on my pc its shows a msg “diskette driive seek failure pree f1 to continue and f2 for setup”…………iwant to remove this msg …my pc is dell optiplex 520

try going into the BIOS setup program (F2) and disable the floppy disk drive
      also be sure your boot option is on the hard drive containing Windows

System Error Messages: Dell™ OptiPlex™ GXa

perhaps your hard drive is failing check your manufacturer if it has hard drive utility to scan and repair.

Hello, is there a floppy drive in your computer? If there is, do you use it at all? You could try a couple of things. First go into device manager and disable the floppy drive. You would have to go to device manager, right click on floppy disk and then select disable. The other thing is, getting into BIOS and make sure that floppy drive is not enable in startup options. To get into BIOS, select F2 when asked and look for bootup order section. BIOS are different so I am unable to give you an specific area to look.

perhaps something to do with the cmos battery, try to reset cmos or to replace.

Hello, as it is usually the case, there are several reasons why this happens.  One common reason for this to happen is after installing new hardware in your system.  The BIOS in your system has to verify that the new detected hardware is properly setup.  If this is why it is happening, all you have to do is to enter setup and save the new settings, then exit and restart.  Have you installed any new hardware recently?

If you haven’t installed any hardware recently and you keep getting this error, there might be some conflicting hardware in BIOS.  To try and fix this, enter setup and check that your hardware is recognized and that all settings are correct.   Is the time and date ok in your system?  Do you have to keep resetting the time and date?  If this is the case, chances are your CMOS battery is starting to die.  The solution for that, is to change the CMOS battery. 

• Jay.0

Enter bios by pressing delete:

Halt > no errors. > save and continue

The options may vary on your bios.

Usually you have to press F1 because of some error which (again) is usually stated on the screen.

If there is no error stated I suggest to go into the BIOS [by pressing DEL during boot] and reset to defaults.