Why does my PC no longer recognize the contents of DVDs?

Félix Cantú August 3, 2010

Suddenly, my computer does not recognize the content of any DVD I put inside, neither play that movie.

If you pass the mouse on the item of the UNIT-DVD-RAM in My Computer, it shows the total of MB it contains, but you open such file, and nothing appears. Then with the right button of the mouse you choose EXPLORE and then, it is when it shows the complete files of the DVD.

This does not happen when it is a CD inside the computer, only DVDs. The question is how to make computer recognize the DVD content, like it has always done before?

Hey Félix

So did you manage to fix this? Did any of the above suggestions helped?

Let us know

• Eulogio

Thanks Aibek,
      No, none of the above answers or suggestions worked out. Still the problem in there. Seems to me that there is a problem of recognizing from Windows to software of the Disk Unit.
      In the near past, I had a Disk Unit that had its own software, that I personally installed... And worked OK. I changed the unit just two months ago because of some fails of the unit itself. This new unit, has no software to install, it's simply been recognized by Windows and make it work and it did, it worked firmely well the first 3 weeks.
      Now I have the problem that appear suddenly, as showed and explained above.
      I don't know if I have to re-install Windows again.

Thanks a lot

My girl friend called me the other day and told me she is having a similar problem. I am going to look into it this Sunday. If I manage to fix it I will definitely share the fix here.

• Phil Young

If the device came with no software, it is most likely plug and play You could try disconnecting the device,,both leads, start windows,shut down and reconnect the device. When you start back up windows will pick it up and re-install. It will also reset the drivers, which was a problem I had with mine

Hey Phil, thanks will give it a try.

2. bmovie

DVD could be dirty or scratched. Try cleaning the surface with window cleaner.

• Josh Fox

I have to interject here. Nearly all window cleaners have agents in them that will eat away at the protective layer on disks. Once it eats through that layer, it will start on the data layer.

• Kevinb7404

I would have to agree with Josh Fox but anyway you should never use anything to clean a DVD or CD disk except with a disk cleaner that you can buy at any store that sells DVD or CD disks those kits have a special stuff that you can clean your disks and will not destroy the protective covering
        also you may want to try to reinstall your DVD software again cause something in your DVD software may have been corrupted I have had that problem at one time and I reinstalled the DVD software and had no problems and also if you know how to remove the DVD player and open the cover there is sometimes get a lot of dust and dirt inside the player it self cause I have had problem with my player it would play the movie but the sound would be erratic and it would sound like it was skipping until I took the player apart and blown out all the dust from the inside of it

3. William Brand

You said you can view the files by hitting explore? What sort of error do you get when attempting to play the movies?

• Eulogio

When I hit "explore" then I can see the files...
      When I put the DVD in the tray, in order to wath a movie, computer simply does not recognize the disc, and no movie is been seen on the screen.
      Thanks for your help

• William Brand

Maybe it's just not autoplaying. Try downloading a program like VLC and opening it manually by going to File -> Open Disc.

4. Josh Fox

It sounds like it's either needing cleaned or it's worn out. If it's in a laptop, you can easily clean it by ejecting the tray and wiping the sensor with a cotton swab. I've heard debates about using a wet or damp swab, but I won't get into that, just say that if you do use some kind of solution, something non-toxic is important. Nothing with alcohol or ethanol. A drop of plain water would be safest, and make sure to dry it with the other end of the swab when you're done.

If this doesn't work, it's probably worn out. Is it older or used a lot?

• Tsunade

What if I used to be able to watch movie DVDs on my pc and now it doesn't even recognize it?? What do I do!??! I really want to watch movies on my computer. I have Roxio and Cineplayer DVD decoder, and as long as I remember I used that program to watch movies before. I tried opening the file(E:) and it doesn't show any file or icons on there, as if the computer doesn't know what are DVDs! I looked at the properties of the DVD file (E:) and it kept popping up asking for "UM.MSI" from Roxio Update Manager. ... What should i do? I don't want to pay anything; I just want to watch my movies! :(

this is a different question. In case you don't get an answer here, I recommend that you post your own new question. Click the green 'Ask A Question' button in the top right to load the form. Thank you!