How do I back up my PC before I install Windows 7?

Paulette April 10, 2011

I want to uninstall Windows Vista, then put Windows 7 on my PC. What is the easiest way to back everything up?

Hello, you can never go wrong by backing up your system. There are many tools available for the job. You can create an image by using the following free software:

After creating the image with the program mentioned above, you also have the option of using the file transfer wizard included with all versions of Windows. Here is how:

2. Mate

Search the web for NETGATE Data Backup.

backing up your data is a very good idea!

However, just let me mention that you don't have to uninstall Windows Vista in order to upgrade to Windows 7. You can upgrade directly without re-installing the entire operating system. Nevertheless, you should prepare a backup before you upgrade.

Check out the following two articles for some general upgrade pointers:
    The Ultimate ‘Upgrade To Windows 7? Guide
    The Ultimate ‘Upgrade To Windows 7? Guide Part 2

As for backing up, there are many options. The easiest way would probably be to back everything up to an external hard drive using a backup software. You should use software because copying by hand is not practical, a hassle, and not safe. You can use a third party application such as Easus To Do Backup (the links is for an article describing the software). You can also use the Windows Vista default tool. The advantage is that you can easily restore the backup using the same tool once you have upgraded to Windows 7.

Here is an article describing how to use the Windows Vista backup tool:
    Backup and Restore Data in Windows Vista

And this article explains how to make and restore backups in Windows 7:
    How To Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7

Please let us know whether this answers your question or whether you need more information. Thank you!

Try to use the upgrade option instead of format+instal, in this way your files will not be touched.

Good hard drive imaging software would be Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. Usually with these programs, you can browse through a copy of the image afterwards from your new OS and just pick out the particular files you need without having to restore the entire image.