Why does my PC get stuck when its shutting down?

Karthick K January 14, 2014

My Windows PC gets stuck when shutting down, it started to happen after I updated my Nvidia card. What can I do?

1. Abhilash Bari

Yup, it happened with me as well. Actually some processes are still running on background while the process of shutting down makes effect. Shutting down process kills another processes it take some time depend on your heavy process threads.

2. Rohit M

your system may be affected by some malware or virus. download malwarebytes antimalware or spybot search and destroy and scan the full system.

3. Lars O

SHUT DOWN ALL PROGRAMS,WAIT 5 MINITES.
    WHEN PUSH THE SHUT DOWN BOTTON.

LO.

4. Tux

cause it windows, full of issues, delete and install Linux

5. Aaront

It can be a silly answer, but I had the same problem. Windows had been shutting down for a long time. When I downloaded and installed the latest automatic Windows updates, the problem had been solved.

nice solution:)

If you want to see information on the processes abd services that are being ended during shut down (abd which ones are started at Windows startup), use the registry edit found here: http://superuser.com/questions/426029/how-can-i-display-additional-boot-and-shutdown-information-on-the-windows-7-welc. When you shut down the computer, the process that is hanging should be displayed on the shut down screen. If not, you may have to review the information in the event viewer.

download the previous version and reinstall it

1) Go to Start and type msconfig and then launch it
    2) Head to the general tab, and uncheck the Load startup items option
    3) GO to services tab and check the ‘Hide all Microsoft services‘ box. Press ‘Disable all‘ button to disable all non Microsoft services.
    4) Reboot, if your problem do not show up that means that is either in startup or service items
    5) re-enable the startup programs and reboot again, if your ptoblem come back then it is one of the startup item, if no problem re-enable services and reboot, then see if the problem comeback, if not then can be BIOS problem, in this case reset cmos battery.