Why does my PC freeze up now that I’ve updated the drivers on it?

Dan October 3, 2014

Having updated my drivers last night, I rebooted my PC and after I reached the desktop and clicked on a few things it froze and remained completely unresponsive requiring a restart. It does this everytime I start it up now.

I don’t have a restore point, I don’t particularly want to have restore my PC, is there anyway to revert back to the old drivers?

I also want to add I did not uninstall my drivers before updating, I used a driver installation program (it’s safe, I have scanned my PC in safe mode) to update 45 drivers. The problem only appeared after restarting from the update.

1. DalSan M

Driver update programs are always going to be a "use at own risk" type of deal. Jan is right in that any program suggesting such a high number of outdated drivers most likely would break something while updating. The drivers most likely were not compatible with Windows 8, causing your issues. Going to the manufacturer's website to find the correct updates for your computer is always best, other than relying on Windows Update to update drivers. However, even then the drivers can cause issues.

As usual, the saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" applies in updating drivers as well as "fixing" the registry. If you can get into Safe Mode without the computer freezing or as much, revert the drivers back as Fidelis mentioned, and if you must try to find updates, go to the manufacturer website, especially since Alienware most likely would keep the latest, most compatible drivers for your computer.

2. Jan F.

I agree with Fidelis answer and his suggestion on reverting.

A driver update program suggestion 45 drivers to be updated doesn't sound safe to me at all. That's just excessive! I can very well imagine that it updated drivers that you should normally let Windows handle on it's own and therefor broke your operating system.

Unless a driver is missing or the version known to cause issues there are only one, two drivers you should need to update. One is your graphics card driver, the other one maybe the sound driver.

Hello, you can roll back to old drivers in device manager.

-- go to device manager
    -- click on arrow to expand driver you want to roll back, for example, select arrow next to display
    -- select on said display adapter
    -- right click on adapter and select properties
    -- click on tab that says driver
    -- select roll back driver

It is possible that the program you used has a way of reverting changes. As a personal advice, I would not use driver installation drivers and also, make sure to enable system restore.

open cmd with administrative rights
    type: sfc /scannow and hit enter, wait the scan to finish
    type: chkdsk /r and hit enter, wait the scan to finish
    type exit and hit enter,
    reboot

open device manager, do you see any yellow sign?