Why does my PC display a black screen when I try to boot from a USB drive?

Shubham November 25, 2014

I have lenovo e49 with 2gb ram, Intel celeron 1.8GHz dual core processor, 500gb hard disk, preinstalled Windows 8 (removed)

I’ve dual booted Linux mint 17 64-bit with Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit and the Windows boot loader got replaced by Linux Grub.

So, I recovered it using a Windows installation USB drive but the partition on which windows was installed got corrupted while installing mint and now I can’t boot Windows and Grub has been replaced by the Windows loader so Linux mint is not bootable…

To recap, the system boots to Windows loader but no OS is available and grub is not there…

When I connect my USB pen drive nothing happens –  only a black screen appears. The LED on the pen drive flashes for a couple of seconds and then goes off. On key press a sound comes and nothing happens, except Ctrl+Alt+Delete which command which restarts the system.

I have tried several Linux and Windows installations and nothing works. When I connect blank USB it does not show any errors only a black screen. I have tried changing every BIOS settings and many solutions from Google…

The black screen you get when trying to boot from USB drive is almost certainly to do with the PCs boot options in the BIOS. Go in there and ensure that booting from USB is enabled and that USB is the first boot device. You may also have various forms of "USB boot" (emulate floppy, emulate CD etc), and you'll need to experiment to see which one of them will work.