Why can’t my PC detect my new Seagate hard drive?
Question by Son Bento /

I just now got a brand new Seagate External Harddrive, with 3 TB of memory in it. like usual my computer told me it’s software was successfully installed, but when I go to the computer panel in my computer there isn’t an Icon or whatever to show it’s there. and when I go to my Hardware management panel in control Panel I see the name and title of my harddrive in there so I know it’s installed properly and all. but there’s no Icon and such. is my Hard Drive too Advanced for my computer or is it the Hard drive itself?

• Anthony

It’s because it’s a 3 TB. You have to do special stuff to get it to work, but it’s simple.

• Why Use a Microsoft Product (always limitations)

When using Linux their is no limit to the size and I have two 3Tb USB drives attached to my notebook via USB-3 and each is a ‘GTP’ partition type and has one partition. One holds a BTRFS and the other holds an EXT4 filesystems. Works like charm.

• Trudi

Mine is a Seagate 500GB (not 3TB) and I got a new tower & same thing happens. It is in the computer but wont show me files. When trying to format, it says it will lose all data, and that’s what I didn’t want to lose. HELP if you can please. I have all of my files for websites on it :(

Make sure that the hard drive is formatted under Device Manager

• Divit Dsouza

Like others said, make sure it is formatted and partitioned. If vista still doesn’t detect it, try it in another computer.

• Toby

Sounds to me like you need to partition your new drive.
    Hit the Windows key and R at the same time to open up the Run box.
    Then type in “diskmgmt.msc” without the quotes, followed by Enter.
    This will bring up the disk management console.
    In here, right click the unallocated space next to your new drive, then click Create Volume.
    Follow the wizard, and you’re good to go!

• Trudi

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_FreeAgent_Go&Rev_0148\2GE7EFVX&0 was configured.

Driver Name: disk.inf
      I did the diskmgmt. clicked unallocated space & create volume.

Says a corruption was discovered in my file system and needs to be scanned and fixed offline. does that mean I have to take it to the PC Dr. to lose the corruption ?

Log Name: System
      Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
      Date: 3/18/2013 11:04:36 PM
      Event ID: 10010
      Task Category: None
      Level: Error
      Keywords: Classic
      User: Trudi
      Computer: BooperzPC
      Description:
      The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

• kent leonhart

You need to create a volume and format the HDD.
    Go to RUN by pressing [windows key + R] then type “diskmgmt.msc”
    OR you can right click “My Computer” -> Manage, then under Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.

Proceed in creating a Volume and Partition to your liking.

Hope that helps.

• druv vb

If the drive is formatted and has a drive letter as Bruce said, then maybe your drive is hidden. In Windows Explorer -> Folder Options -> View. Enable the option to show empty drives.
    You should also do what Jim said, make partitions and format them.
    If not maybe its something with Windows Vista Home Premium that prevents you from using your drive, though that should not happen. Else get a warranty refund.
    Hope that helps you out.

• Boni Oloff

I have ever face this too, but with my flash disk.
    1. Make sure you try it in other computer to make sure that it is still working properly
    2. Make sure your computer is scanned from virus, because same virus can do something like this.
    3. If none above can solve the problem, than last way to bring it to service center, since you said it is brand new, then it still in waranty i think.

• Jim Chambers

I suggest you partition it into at least 3 equal sized partitions and then quick format each partition in NTFS

Is the drive partitioned and formatted? If not, Windows won’t assign a drive letter and icon for it. Also, you can check under Disk Management to ensure that the drive is online.