Why won’t my PC detect my hard drive after a repair?

Tabish Azam October 19, 2012

I have a 160GB ATA hard drive. It had an issue with the power cord plug not making a connection. I gave it to the repair man and asked him to fix the pin, which he did. But now my computer does not detect that the hard drive is installed. What do I do?

1. Declan Lopez

it might not have been repaired correctly

perhaps you have to uninstall the old driver from the device manager and plug the hard drive so that windows detect and install a new one.

see if this microsoft solution can help.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

I assume this is a PATA drive. Plug the ribbon cable in with coloured stripe toward power connector and check that its well seated in motherboard primary IDE port. If jumpers are set for CS, single drive must be plugged in end connection of ribbon cable. If power connector pin needed resoldering, initial break may have arced, resulting in damage to the drives control chips. If so, the drive is toast unless you can replace circuit board with exact match.

4. Harish Jonnalagadda

Send back to service center, they should be able to figure it out..

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

send it back to the person you gave it to repair!

6. Paul Pruitt

Maybe the drive cables are loose. Take off the cover, find all your drives make sure the cables are securely attached.

7. Tabish Azam

no the connection problem is solved. the hard disk is now making a contact with the powercord of powersupply. i know it because the "small black chips" at the back of hard disk is getting warm when i turn my pc on. but still there is no detection of the hard disk :/ or maybe its not getting enough voltage or current through the soldered ports?

8. Adrian Rea

You may also need to check jumper settings. CS is the best but also make sure the correct cable is used and see what the POST screen say, whether it is detected and/or can you select it from the boot list? finally you can run a linux liveCD to see if that can access the drive. Good luck.

You can also ask him to test the HDD with a new power and SATA cable and see whether it helps or not.

10. Erlis Dhima

Probably the problem is not fixed.. Take is again for repairing..
    But, before that, try to plug it in in all the ports of your pc..
    If it still doest work, go to device manager, and try to disable a usb port, uninstall it, and reinstall it again.. try to plug in your hard disk to that usb port than...

11. Yiz Borol

Take it back to the repair man and have him fix it. Demand that he do it free because he broke it.

In the future never leave the store before testing the device with him present.

• Tabish Azam

i got it checked when i left the store. he used some meter to show that the soldered power pins are fine. but its some other issue i guess.