My PC is not done defragging after 24 hours

Quentin February 23, 2010

I started Piriform Defraggler 24 hours ago and it’s not over. Is it normal?

1. ├Žnon1mus

Check your free space. Defragmenting requires quite a lot of free space so if you only have 3-5% (which may seem like a lot on a 1TB hard disk), you have 95-97% of the hard disk occupied. Defragmenting will go very slowly because it doesn't have enough space to work with. Free up disk space and follow the suggestions above, you should be defragmenting much quicker. Unless your hard disk is about to fail. Have you noticed slow transfer rates or clunking noises?

All the advice above is sound. I would add:
    1. Clean your system of cruft (temp files etc) as best you can before defragging. A good piece of software to do this is CCleaner.
    2. Check how fragmented your disc is before your start (e.g. using Window's defragger to analyse). If you have thousands of 'excess fragments', the job should take less than an hour. Tens of thousands -- many hours. More than that - even longer!
    3.. Start up the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 at startup and choose safe mode). Also, don't run any applications while defragging, and ideally disconnect from the network. Basically, the less programs are running at the same time, the faster and more thorough the defrag will be (on the other hand safe mode drivers are slower, but it's still worth the time if your disc is heavily fragmented).
    4. Personally, I'd give MyDefrag a shot. It's an excellent defragger which also optimises the disc, so will improve the performance of the disc significantly.

3. gkdoda

Defragging hard disk for 24 hrs. is not a normal situation. Just keep in mind the following points before you start your defrag software.

1. Turn your anti-virus off. Some anti-virus will not allow any application to move some system files.

2. Do not use computer during defragmentation as it will "forced" the software to re-start itself.

3. Run chkdsk before starting deframent software.

Hope it will help you.

I second Helpof's suggestion to turn off the anti-virus. Now that I think about it's very likely for defragmentation to hang while defrag tool attempting to move system files. Especially if the program is running not under administrator account.

If you haven't defragmented your system for a while and have a large hard drive with lots of data then it's normal. If it doesn't finish in the next 24 hours I would recommend trying another disk defragmenter.

See: 8 Best Defragmenters To Keep Your PC Running Like New.

if you're after speed I would recommend JKDefrag.