Why does my PC make a click sound, then restart?

Ghodke February 1, 2012

My Windows 7 PC will make a click sound, then restart without warning or error. Why does it do this?

1. mikiaandy

HDD it s dead, or almost :(

2. Craig Snyder

In all of my experiences, the clicking noise you've described has been related to HDD failure. If you've heard of the blue screen of death, there's also a click of death: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death

I'd run a CHKDSK scan and open up my case and maybe give everything a good blowing out, could be some dust buildup in there. If you're on a laptop, it could get a little trickier.

CHKDSK is a good option to check hard drives, plus maybe SMART analyse.

Hello, chances are it is your harddrive.  Visit following site and check the harddrive sounds in database and match it with your.  The site provides sounds for harddrives from different manufacturers and also by BIOS:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

It would be a good idea to backup your system.  If system does not let you finish backing up without shutting down, you could try using a Linux live CD to create backups.

4. Karkala Nayak

if 1 beep its - video card 
    if 2 to 3 beeps - RAM 
    if it beeps continuously - it the processor 

REMEDY / SOLUTION : 
    1. (VIDEO CARD)- remove the video card clean it up... you can use eraser...make sure to remove the dust/lint ..... 

2. (RAM)- If the problem is the ram ... its the same.. remove the ram clean it..the same as you clean the video card...but if you put back the ram to the slot...make it sure to lock it up and tighten up..just monitor it that its not loosen... 

3. (PROCESSOR) - remove the processor ... clean the white one i mean the paste 
    (thermal paste) then if you don't have that paste try to ask the hardware im sure they have one and grab it... don't leave the processor if it is not attach in the slot make sure to have that paste first it has time limit in exposing the processor it may cause a problem if the processor wont put back int the slot.. he main solution is change the thermal paste then lock it up tightly.. the most important thing is just...lock it up so tight.

that all... 

I hope it helps....

indeed beeps tells more regarding hardware failure.

check your ram, if you have two sticks remove one and start windows, now if everything works fine, shut down pc, replace the ram with the second one and start windows and work, if system shuts down then can be the reason.

right click on “My Computer” and choosing “Properties”. Goto the “Advanced” Tab and under “Startup and Recovery” press the “Settings” button. Under the “System Failure” box there will be a checkbox saying “Automatically Restart”. Untick this box and click Ok.
    in this way you can also check to see why your computer had a failure by checking the Events log for error messages. Go to Run and type “eventvwr” this will open Event Viewer.

Why would the click sound indicate RAM? RAM is silent. 

sure RAM can't speek, perhaps windows has difficulty to access RAM? It is just to check it, easier than performing windows reinstall

• subodh

thanks ha14.
      My pc sometimes run chkdsk automatically.It fixes this issue for few time and then it perform same problem and sometimes it shows an error like 'boot disk failure.
      But after half or 1 hour I start my pc it works well but after some time it restarts with same problem.

Hi subodh
        possible BIOS is not detecting the hard drive, try the cables to see if they are well plugged or change for new ones.

Also perhaps you need to repair windows, best will be to choose upgrade feature, in this case you will need to reactivate windows.

I

6. M.S. Smith

Sounds like it could be a hardware issue to me. A click sound could be a result of a mechanical hard drive error, motherboard short or power supply issue. But since you never receive any warning, I'd guess a power supply issue.

My guess would be the hard disk personally. How would you suggest backing up all their data if it is the hard disk? Presumably, any attempt to copy it all would trigger the fault again, maybe?

• subodh

Thank you for this post.
      As you said about power supply issue in my pc I will check for it.