Why does my new PC build keep buzzing and crashing with BSOD?

Ryan November 30, 2011

So I just completed a new build on Friday and it was working perfectly until Sunday. I had my first BSOD in the middle of BF3. There was always buzzing noise while playing BF3, too. After I used some stress tests, I kept getting BSOD and now I’m in Safe Mode.

When I was building my PC, the motherboard was a little bit faulty by making it super hard to install the CPU. I had to put around 3 pounds of pressure on the lever to go down and I heard some crinkling crackling noise.

What should I do and how should I find help because I can still RMA right now?

1. Richard Carpenter

You may what to check your drivers as well. If it is blue screening when the Windows screen comes up, it is possibly a driver issue. Not enough info to be sure yet though.

2. RayInLV

Have you tried running WhoCrashed and/or BlueScreenView to get the information they provide.  Assuming a crash Dump is available...

• Richard Carpenter

Not a bad idea, if there happens to be a loose connection or some not seated completely that may help. 

3. Richard Carpenter

Forcing a processor into the socket is not good... If are running 32 bit, and broke one of the 64 bit pin, you would not know, well until you tried to go 64 bit. Where are you getting the BSOD now?

Which CPU and Socket did you buy?
    What's the BSoD Error name and STOP code?

Despite what FIDELIS said for Intel CPUs it's possible that your CPU isn't correctly placed on the Socket yet the system starts up perfectly fine.

For example if the pins of the memory controller are not perfectly seated your system may start up but you will experience various problems with the RAM e.g. your system reports 4GB usable of 8GB total memory.

Hello there Mike, when I said the computer wouldn't start I was referring to broken pins......

Hello, If you are getting blue screens, do you thing you can post the error that blue screen shows you?  Best thing you can do at the moment would be to take your computer apart and check that all connections are right and tight.  Also make sure to check your CPU has no bent or broken pins and it is set in the right direction.  Pins might not have been bent when you install it but if you put that much pressure it could happen or what is worse, pins might have broken. 

I do not think you have broken pins, your computer would not start.  Also make sure that your CPU cooler is sitting tight and not siting at an angle on top of CPU.  Keep in mind that if any of the pins are broken, I doubt you could return it.  If they are bent, you can straighten them with a credit card or something that fits in between pins.  When you give more information, we can troubleshoot your issue.

try to reset CMOS battery and see if this can help, adding pressure to CPU it is not recommended action.