Can I use PayPal just as a virtual wallet?

Akram December 14, 2010

I am a graphics designer living in Pakistan. I did some gigs on fiverr.com and earned myself some money. The website only pays through PayPal and PayPal is not supported in Pakistan. I just had an idea that maybe I can create a PayPal account and never withdraw money from it, using it only to buy stuff from other websites. Will that work?

1. Naina_mfsd

what if I just do not want to verify or upgrade it ,, I will just use it once to shop from ebey that is it ,,, so can i do it?

Naina,

if you do not want to connect a bank account to your PayPal account and if you just want to use it once, you don't have to upgrade it to a pro account. I suppose you also don't have to verify it.

You just have to get some money into your PayPal account, otherwise you obviously cannot use it to pay something you bought on eBay.

Since you do not want to do anything risky anyways like sharing your bank or credit card details, why don't you just try to set up an account? And let us know how it went!

2. Mark O'Neill

I suppose it would. When it says it is not supported in Pakistan, what I think that means is that you can't connect the Paypal account to a Pakistan bank account, to either add or withdraw money.

However, I suppose you could, in theory, set up the account, claim you are in the US or Europe, and just use the account to buy things online. However, this is probably against the Paypal TOS so, if you are found out, you then run the risk of getting the account shut down and the money frozen. Post 9-11, there's lots of money laundering and Homeland Security alerts set up to monitor suspicious account activity, and unfortunately, you live in a part of the world which they are probably watching more closely than others. They would probably consider what you are doing suspicious and it may take quite some time before you are able to straighten things out with them.

So it's up to you whether you want to run the risk or not. If so, ask a client to deposit a small amount of money into your account then give it a try.

I don't think it would work because sooner or later you would have to verify/upgrade the account. If I am not mistaken it's a step you need to take after reaching certain amount in transactions.