Why would anyone pay for iTunes?

janM December 18, 2011

Why would anyone pay for iTunes when you can get some free music from other websites? Am I missing something?

1. Jmtartlet

thanx everyone for ur replies, u've all been very helpful, my question is a legitimate one...i'm only just starting to download music & i knew of itunes, then a friend suggested limewire as it's free...this got me wondering why people would buy music if it can be downloaded free...does anyone have any views on whether it's morally wrong to download limewire music free compared to buying itunes?

Hello, there are different ways and solutions for doing something.  I would say, people tend to do what is easier for them.  Sometimes it is a matter of not knowing anything else, sometimes it is a matter of liking it that way and sometimes it is just a matter of peace of mind.  Whatever the reason is, every head is a different world.  Don't you think would be a boring place if everybody did things the same way.

Well perhpas some are not capable as you to find free music outside iTunes, others are concerned with security and prefer ro pay alittle more for Safe and secure download, plus their purchase are there on the cloud so if something happens they can restore.

Jan,

I'm personally baffled that anyone would spend even a cent on Apple's ridiculous garbage, but hell - that's just me. The people I do know that purchase music from iTunes, do so for reasons of ignorance. They simply don't know that there are other options available.

There are other reasons though, like altruism. To show your appreciation for the music the author has created, it's only polite to purchase the music so that he/she can put food on the table for themselves and their families.

For example, I am aware of a great many options to get free music (legally or not), yet I still subscribe to Spotify. In turn, a portion of what I pay spotify goes to the artists. That helps me sleep at night, I don't do so because of legal repercussions of pirating the music.

- Jeff

I wouldn't go as far to say that people who use iTunes are "ignorant". In countries such as Australia, you have very few options outside iTunes, and IMO iTunes is convenient and easy to use, plus their collection has to be one of the largest. 

Unfortunately we have not been exposed to the streaming music services like Spotify (which I'm dying to try out!) and radio services like Pandora.

I have to agree with Swanny. In my place alternatives to iTunes are also rare:

Amazon MP3 which I only use because I regularly get codes for free songs

Last.fm (subscription) which does not allow offline playback of the "radio"

Spotify wasn't available until 15th Nov and I don't really like the concept with a monthly fee for on- and offline listening plus additional payment if you want to actually buy a song.

• Jeff Fabish

You can use a VPN to use Spotify/Pandora in another [unsupported] country! These services are very good. They really have made piracy 'old fashioned'. 

Yes, it's your personal choice. you can find music elsewhere,
    both legal and illegal.

6. Dave Parrack

It depends on your requirements and willingness to seek out less-than-legal sources.

If you want to own digital copies of music and not break the law then paying for songs through iTunes is one of the options open to you.

Well, if you want to get your favorite title from the charts it's always a good assumption that the artist(s) are part of a label and therefor the music is being sold.

In that case your only option is to buy the CD in a store or pay for a digital download via a service.

Anything else would be illegal for "commercial music".