Is there a way to paste only parts of what was copied into the clipboard?

loser March 10, 2010

I am trying to copy a bunch of lines of text all at once, and paste just one line at a time. Basically I would copy a whole text document with 100 lines of text, and then go to a different document and paste just the first line or maybe just the 40th line that I had copied earlier, then be able to paste another line of my choosing. Is there any way to do this?
OS: Windows

Jack and Taty are correct. Can you tell us exactly what you are trying to do and then we can tell you how to do it properly? Just paste the data into notepad++ and then manipulate and copy portions at a time.

• loser

Sorry for not really explaining it all that well. Here is a better explanation (I hope). I have one document filled with 5-digit numbers, one on each line. I needed to paste those numbers individually into a search engine on a website and analyze the results. I wanted to be able to copy all of those numbers and then paste them at my will rather than going to the document, copying line 1, going to the website, pasting line 1, then going back to the document and copying line 2 and so on. It is all good though, because AutoHotkey came to save the day. I appreciate all of your help. Now I just have to find a way to automatically analyze those search results and my job will be a whole lot easier:)

Yes AHK rocks! I bet you can script whatever you want to do. How do you analyze these numbers? Pasting and pushing a button? AHK can definitely do that.

Wouldn't it be easy to just copy the line you want and then paste it where you want. I don't quite understand the logic why you want to copy a bunch of text into the clipboard and then paste certain things. Just copy and paste what you want. To me, selecting certain lines of text from the clipboard is the exact same as copying a line of text from a document.

Unless you are trying to determine what line you are, paste the document into a notepad file, turn on the status bar, and copy and paste each line that you require.

3. Taty

Hi loser
    I am not aware of a way to paste only one line at a time. I could tell you how to copy only certain lines from the text and have them stored ready to be pasted, so you can paste them all at once in the order that you want. Would that be helpful?