Is it possible to password protect email on an iPad?

Clark June 11, 2011

My kids use my iPad and know the passcode to enter it, but I do not want them to read my emails. Can I put a passcode on the email app so only I can open it?

1. Ravi Harjai

I need help in pass word protecting my e-mails on ipad

• Susendeep Dutta

One user of the forum link below has suggested a method of doing this -

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13127632?messageID=13127632&amp%3b#13127632

King_Penguin - " I don't know which version of iOS you are on, or whether the following also applies to 3.2, but in 4.2 :

You can hide the account by going into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then select the account that you don't want your friend to see and slide the switch next to Mail to off (you may also want to turn mail Notes off so that they appear under Mail as opposed to Notes, so that they will also be hidden) - you can then repeat this for other email accounts that you want hidden . Then go into Settings > General > Restrictions, enable restrictions, and switch off 'Allow Changes' next to the mail icon. If you then go into the Mail app the account(s) should no longer appear. To regain access to the account : turn off the restriction and then turn mail back on in the Mail settings. "

Clark,

did this answer your question? Please let us know! 

MobileMe for your mail. Here are the steps:1. Open Preferences.2. Under "Mail, Calendar, Accounts", choose "MobileMe". Unselect "Sync my email".3. Open "Restrictions" and turn it on. Make sure "Change account settings" is set to OFF.
    You can now let family and friends use the iPad but when they go to open the Mail app, they will see a "Create an account" screen

Mailboxes
    http://ax.itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailboxes-private-gmail-for/id377459020?mt=8&ign-impt=clickRef%3DSoftware%2520Page-US-Mailboxes%2520-%2520Private%2520Gmail%2520for%2520your%2520iPad-377459020-Lockup
    PASSCODE PROTECTIONMailboxes lets you passcode lock your Gmail or Google Apps account so that you can share you iPad safe in the knowledge that no-one else can read your email.
    can also cache your email using HTML5 so you can read and compose emails offline. 

otherwise there are some for jailbroken ipads!

• Jjirh

Can you tell me where open preferences is on the iPad. I am trying to set up a password for my aol mail on m iPad. So someone else can see them. Is this possible?