How can I password protect the BIOS?

William January 28, 2011

I don’t want a boot CD or a password reset disk to get rid of my administrator account password. Want to restrict booting off a CD on my Windows computer.

1. William

Thanks for the tips. Answered my question thoroughly.

-William

Hello, BIOS password helps a lot but if you want more security make sure that your tower is physically locked. If you are running windows xp pro, vista pro and above or windows 7 pro edition and above you can use the Local policies to deny access to usb ports, cd drives, etc. You just have to set up an access control list of user that can use certain things and that is it.

Here is a link with pictures showing how to set up a password for BIOS:

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=biospsw

There are two kinds of passwords you can set through the BIOS; administrator and user password. The administrator password locks the BIOS and the user password is used for the booting of the machine. Everytime you boot up you have to enter the user password.

If you are not sure what key to press to enter BIOS, start your computer up and pay attention to what key is needed to enter setup. It could be delete, f2, etc, depending on your motherboard. Hope that helps.

3. Susendeep dutta

In order to protect your BIOS ,you need to go to your BIOS setting's security tab and set the password.Once you have set your password you will need to enter the same password to modify any settings in the BIOS.

In order to prevent booting from bootable CD BIOS password protection is the solution.
    If you forget your password you can boot from your bootable disk by removing CMOS battery.