Best way to password protect backups on Windows 7?

ExistentialKid February 23, 2010

Hello,

been grappling with the difficult choice of backing up data via a portable hard drive, online storage sites, recordable DVDs or all the above.

Main inquiry involves PASSWORD-PROTECTING my data. My old hard drive required me to log-in each time I wanted to access my data. My new one does not. But I am looking for something stronger, something that – goodness forbid – if stolen, would be difficult to crack or reveal.

Tried Mozy online storage (not a fan), and have been reading up on TrueCrypt. Looking for a viable online storage option that won’t run more than $100/year.

Other than that, if anyone has any backup tips…would be much appreciated.

Basically, how does one prepare for the ABSOLUTE WORST, i.e. losing both computer and external hard drives, as well as physical backups?

Thanks.

Windows 7 allows us to create a Windows password reset disk (USB key) in case that we lost the Win 7 logon password. When we lose the password of Win 7, we can reset a new one with the created disk. The weak point is that you can only create the disk before losing your Windows 7 password. If you do not create that, it could not help.

If you have an available administrator account on your system, you can get your password back easily. Logon Win 7 system with the admin account, and then you can come to the Control Panel and change or delete other accounts' passwords. Just three steps:

Step 1: Click Start -> Control Panel -> Add or remove user accounts

Step 2: Choose the locked administrator account

Step 3: Click Change the password or Remove the password. And then you can change or remove the lost or forgotten password

If you do not have another available administrator account, you could try some third party software. There is plenty of third party software for password recovery on Windows 7 online. all of them are designed to create a Windows password recovery disk. With the disk you can recover your lost Windows 7 password. I highly recommend Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 and use it as an example. What you need to do is just three steps (you need another computer to create the disk):

Step 1: Download Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0

Step 2: Burn a Windows password recovery disk with the software

Step 3: Recover the Windows 7 password with the disk

I think the most efficient is using third party windows password recovery software. Have a try.

2. ExistentialKid

Thanks, Aibek...was leaning towards all that

Oh an if you merely want to hide and password protect certain folders then I would recommend MyLockbox.

I would recommend putting all sensitive data under one folder or drive and then encrypting it using something like TrueCrypt. (see How to Hide Folders Using 7 Free Apps).

Afterwards, you can setup a software like DropBox (or Mozy) to sync the contents of the drive/folder to the web. This will make sure that your data is secure locally (only you can access it) and has an online backup (if stolen, drive failure etc.).