How can I partition unallocated hard drive space without reinstalling Windows 7?

ALINA RAJ August 26, 2012

I am using Windows 7. I installed it on my PC but could not form partitions. I have 221GB of allocated space. How can I make a partition for it without reinstalling Windows 7?

1. bhargav dudani

I have windows 7 ultimate instalated on my pc,i have already partationed it in 4 drive and i want one more drive i want to make athor partation but it give me error you your hardisk have maximum number of partation how can i solve it?

2. ni

i have windows 7 installed and 5 partition and it all has data with it is there any way that i can give some memory of other partition to c driver with out lossing my data... plz help me my c driver(os in it) has very low size.

3. Bodi Hemanth

1st in the search type computer management and then right click on the computer management and select the run as administrator.

in that window click on the disk management and

select the unallocated space right click on it and select create a partition you can choose how much space you want a drive follow the on screen instructions.

i think this is must works for you.

4. dinesh

it worked thanks!!

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

the easiest way is, to use the default partition manager.

go to control panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

from there, select your partition, and then right click and select shrink volume. specify the size, and done! :)

6. Edmar Diego

just right click on the computer icon. then select manage there you'll find the disk manager.

if this doesn't work that means you've already made a previous partition and really need a manually made partition with a bootable cd or usb drive.

don't worry about your files windows will create a folder just for your old files.

hope this helps.

7. stern

Using disk management in windows 7.

8. Joel Alar

You can still still partition unallocated drive by using a third party partition manager like paragon partition manager. I used this without any issues even you have a data on the drive that you want to partition.

9. Naoman Saeed

If u have unallocated space then it is extremely easy just
    -> right click on computer->manage->disk management
    then right click on unallocated space and look for something like 'create new partition'

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

10. Tony Batty
  11. Daniel Kidd

Right click on My Computer and double click on Manage to open Computer Management (located at: C:\Windows\System32\en-US\compmgmt.msc). In the left pane, click on Disk Management. In the right pane, right-click on the disk you want to create a new partition and chose Shrink Volume and input your new partition size up to the maximum allowed; you can also assign it a drive letter or let the system chose one. Another way to access Computer Management is click on the Start button (lower left corner of your screen). In the right pane, double click on Control Panel and open Adminstrative Tools, then open Computer Management.

Install EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.1 (Freeware). I personally use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and this software works like a charm for me. Never faced a problem till date. You can download it from http://www.filehippo.com/download_easeus_partition_master_home/ .

13. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

EASEUS Partition Master is the best and perfect for organizing data on hdd

14. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

I would definitely suggest EASEUS Partition Master software for organising data on your Hard disk.. its very easy to use and give clear picture of allocted and unallocated space and their conversion..
    EASEUS Partition Master :)

15. Usman Mubashir

use paragon hdd tools to check out the problem

16. Charles Pradeep

Shrink ur existing partitions and then use disk management to create new partitions ..you should be fine.cheers :)

17. fatihamzah

Use Disk Management on Windows 7. or type "partition" on search program and files in start menu and click "create and format harddisk partition"

• Alina

I have tried this..They dont support forming of dynamic disks on my system

18. Benjamin Glass

Get the GParted Linux distribution, burn it to a CD (Windows 7 has a built in ISO image burner), and then use that to create an NTFS partition in the unallocated space.

• Alina

LINUX???

• Nathan Wahler

It's not quite as daunting as it seems. GParted is actually one of the best and most flexible methods of partitioning a hard drive, since it doesn't require any drive to be active during its use. This allows you to have full access. Then again, it uses the same hard drive labeling conventions (ie,it doesn't assign drive letters the same way as in Windows) as all Linux distributions, which might be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with it. Go ahead and check it out at gparted.sourceforge.net and decide for yourself.

19. Vipul Jain

Boot with the Win7 DVD.
    Click on Install Win7 > Custom or Advanced
    Now you will see all drives & unallocated space.
    Click on unallocated space and format it, then click on it and then New. A new drive should be formed.
    That's it, just close the installation, you have a new drive without having to reinstall!

• Alina

But i think,even then they will not allow me to form more than 3 partitions on window 7...

• Prajwal Shakya

You should have heard about Extended Partition, As already mentioned that you can have maximum of 4 primary partition. You already have that. In case you can try having 3 primary partition and one extended partition. Extended is also a primary partition which can further be divide into logical drives. This may help you create as many drives as you can create with those unallocated spaces.
        For this you have to delete one of your existing partition. I suggest you to delete the final one, i.e. E drive. Backup your data before that. Now the spaces of you E drive is also unallocated. Right Click on the unallocated space and click on create partition. Then choose extended partiton on ntfs format. This will allocate all of those unallocated ones in a new drive. Now you can shrink that unallocated spaces to create a logical drive as much as you want to.

20. Lambvolution

you can use Wondershare Disk Manager, it's easy to use and free!
    http://www.wondershare.com/disk-manager/

• Alina

Thanx I will try this too :)

21. i0ni

This is the best software for partitioning your Hard Drive: http://download.cnet.com/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html?part=dl-6285158&subj=dl&tag=button . It's safe, free and easy to use.
    I highly recommend it. I never had problems with it.

• Alina

Thanx I will try this :)

22. jrasulev

How mane drives do you have on your PC? C & D drives? if you have only C drive you can create D drive using below-mentioned utilities:
    - MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.0
    - EASEUS Partition Master (Home Edition)
    - GParted
    - Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free Edition
    Or use native Windows 7 utility, guideline is here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/quick-tip-create-a-new-partition-with-windows-7-tool/3636

• Alina Raj

I have 3 drives.C,D and E...Now I want to form 2 more from 211 Gb unallocated space without reinstalling.I am using Windows 7

• Alina Raj

I have done disk management method but without formating it says that it can't convert basic disk to dynamic

• GrrGrrr

reduce the space of ur existing partition. then u will have unallocated disk space. format and use that space directly.

• Alina

But I have already 211 Gb unallocated space

• GrrGrrr

if so, format that space and use it

Hello, when using windows 7 it is really easy to use the disk management tools provided with the operating system. What is the size of your harddrive? If you just installed 7 on it, chances are you used the whole space of the disk to create a partition for your operating system. If you want to create more partitions, you would need to open the disk management tool and first you would have to shrink the existing partition. Once that existing partition is shrunk, you would see unallocated space showing in disk management. To create a partition on this space, you would have to click on unalocated space, right click on it and select create partition. Make sure to format that partition with NTFS file system.

Keep in mind, that on windows based systems you could have a maximum of 4 primary partitions regardless of how many harddrives you have installed. Or you could have 3 primary partitions and and extended partition that could contain several dynamic volumes.

For a clearer picture, you could try following the steps provided in next tutorial:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage-your-disks-using-disk-management-utility

• Alina Raj

I tried disk management...It says that this process will convert basic system to dynamic and they do not support this.......

Hello Alina, then with this new information you provided, your issue is that you already have the maximum amout of primary partitions. In my previous post, I explained that in windows systems you can only have 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and an extended partitions that can have many logical volumes.

If disk management only gives you the choice of creating a dynamic disk (extended), that means that the system already has the maximum amount of primary partitions. You can either delete one of the other partitions, or create a dynamic partition where you can create other partitions. Keep in mind that in this volumes you can not install a windows based system, but you can install linux.

• Alina

Then wht about my 211 GB...It would be a waste...
          I understand But they even not permit me to form dynamic disk...

Hello Alina, would it be possible for you to do a capture screen with disk management utility open? You can use the sniping tool built into windows to do the capture screen. To do so, try the following:
          -- click on orb
          -- All programs
          -- click on accesories
          -- click on sniping tool
          -- open the disk management utility
          -- in sniping tool click on down arrow next to new and make sure that windows snip is selected
          -- once the screen capture is saved, make sure to uploaded to any free service and post the link here.

By default, if you do not alter the drive properties during the installation process (when it is asking where it should install Windows), it allocates all of your drive space in one large partition. Your 221GB of allocated space is your single partition on the drive (it is already partitioned, formatted, part of it is currently used for your installed operating system, programs and data, and there is nothing you need to do). If you want to create another partition on the drive, you will need to shrink your existing partition using the Disk Management tool to create unallocated space for the new partition to be created in. You can access Disk Management by clicking on the Start Orb, right-clicking on Computer and clicking on Manage in the context menu. In the resulting window, click on Disk Management. From here you can perform the low-level disk management functions like shrinking, growing, deleting, and creating partitions as well as formatting them, mounting and dismounting drives (changing status between online and offline), setting up software RAID, and more.

• Alina Raj

Sorry my mistake...its 211 GB unallocated space from which i want to form partitions