How can I partition my hard drive to dual boot Linux and Windows 7?

Ronald A. July 18, 2011

How do I create a partition on my hard drive to dual boot my Windows 7 and Linux distro?

I have 4 partitions now. They are system, C drive, recovery, and HP Tools. I shrunk the C drive and tried to load Linux distro, but it would not take. Can I move the HP Tools somewhere?

1. Gelmusicenator

I copied HP tools onto a flash drive trying to install Kubuntu.  Bad idea.  Whatever you do don't touch that partition.

2. Ronald

I have worked on this on and off all day and I moved the HP Tools to my C drive then deleted the partition. I then made a partition large enough for linux to be installed. Once I started the install the software would not get to the partitioning area. So, I put the HP Tools drive back and it started working again but no Ubuntu. If I get rid of the Recovery drive (I do have the dicks for that) how do I get Ubuntu to load on that drive?

Here is one problem I know I will have is once I have the drive done and get into Ubuntu I cannot get past the partitioning section of the download. The error message is "no root directory chosen".

Is there somewhere that has step by step directions, or can one of you point me in the right direction?

Thank you three for the responses!

• Sonny Bass

Highlight the partition you want to use by clicking it. click edit or change(should be one of those I don't have an Ubuntu disk to look at) where it says "do not use this drive" click an change to"use as ext4 journaling file system" click mount point, change to "/" without quotes.   

• Sonny Bass

Hi, I just wanted to mention again,that using another drive, you should create a drive image before you do this.

• Sonny Bass

Hi again, I found this manual. Hopefully this will help. http://www.muktware.com/man/1068

3. Sonny Bass

You would need to get rid of at least one partition.If you made recovery disks when you bought the computer you could get rid of the recovery partition.The HP tools partition could  probably be gotten rid of also. Parted Magic is a great tool for partitioning and much more.IT contains imaging tools also,Clonezilla is my favorite.Use one of the imaging tools before you start so that if things go wrong you can start over.Once you have cleaned off at least one partition, create an extended partition. In the extended you will need at least one logical partition for your distro of choice and one partition for swap-space. Allow 1-1.5 times your ram for swap.Most of the distros I have used should have the partition formatted to ext4.

Hello, how much space do you have after shrinking the drive?  Linux can be installed on an extended partition.  As you might know, in Windows you can only have 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary partitions and an extended partition where you can have many other dynamic partitions within in.  Have you tried making the shrunk space into a dynamic partition?  If you do, you might be able to install linux there as long as there is enough space. 

5. Nobody

Which distro are you trying to install ? There are so many out there and without having more info it would not be prudent to offer you an answer at this point.