How can I partition an active hard drive?

Chuck October 31, 2010

I have a Dell GX280, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive with all my programs installed. Can I partition this hard drive into several drives to use as Work, Games etc.? I would like at least 3 partitions.

1. Bill C

Just as a side note for anyone wanting to do this, MAKE SURE you defragment your hard drive prior to readjusting your primary partition size to decrease the chance you of losing vital information!

2. Lillgad

Thanks Tina, I went to both web sites listed, and selected the Easus Partition Master, and after reading all the in's and out's I was able to perform the partitions (3) as I wanted. This is a great web site you have, I will be back, Chuck

Glad I could help and thank you very much for the feedback!

Chuck,

what operating system are you running on your Dell GX280?

If it's Windows Vista or Windows 7, you do not need extra software. Please see this article for instructions on how to use the internal partition manager.

If you're using Windows XP, you will need additional software. There are a lot of free alternatives out there. I would recommend Paragon's Free Partition Manager or Easus Partition Master.

You can definitely create two additional partitions (to get a total of 3) in either of the above mentioned Windows systems. However, please be careful when doing operations like these and be sure to make a backup first.