Why is my parition resizing not recognized in Windows 7?

Simon Slangen July 17, 2010

I recently re-sized my Windows 7 partition (tripled the allocated space), but my Windows installation doesn’t realize it.

x) (My Computer -> Manage) the disk utility and (command) diskpart utility all show the correct size, but…
x) In ‘My Computer’, the drive overview, it still shows the original size. I’m also still receiving notifications that I’m out of available space, and…

I’ve tried restarting, diskpart->volume->extend, Defrag and CHKDSK, but nothing works. Any ideas?

1. Carlos Tejada

Well, it would be nice if we knew some details, like , what partition software did you use? but leaving that aside...., start all over again, i'd suggest sticking to Windows Disk management, and delete everything except your main W7 partition, wich should be marked as active, healthy, boot , etc...., and once u have the unallocated space, or free space, start making "simple" new volume, go thru the steps (like fat32 or ntfs, wich drive letter are you assigning ) and at the end you should have a partition marked "healthy" and with a drive letter assigned, and do the same with the other partition.My guess is, windows dont "realize it" because they are not fat or ntfs partitions, like if you installed linux..., those ext3 partitions won't be read by windows.

2. andy

Re-run the action. For example diminish or increase the partition by a bit, and see if the error happens again.

3. 413736603

When you resized,you sure you clicked the "apply" or the "OK"button.
    and which partition software you used,maybe the partition software you used can't support windows7.
    here I show one parttition software to you which is Magic server partition software-partition wizard,which is one free partition software,if you are intrested in it you can download it to try