If I were to overwrite my hard drive, would I have to re-install the operating system?

Anonymous January 5, 2014

I am using CC Cleaner and there is an option to wipe your drive. I was wondering what would happen if I chose to overwrite my hard drive? Would I have to re-install the operating system, or would I be able to continue using my computer? Also are there any good programs that I can use to remove single files from my hard drive safely?

The "Wipe: Free Space Only" option in CCLeaner will do just what it says. It will overwrite free space (space not used by any files or by the system) only. If you are trying to wipe things on your system drive, you will not be able to wipe the entire drive.
    In other words, this option is safe to use as it will not remove anything from your drive, but will only secure areas that hvae already been deleted.
    As for "remove single files from my hard drive safely", it depends what you mean by "safely". If you mean so that it is kept somewhere else safely, just a normal copy will do. If you mean "securely" (as I suspect you do), so that the data is permanently removed from the drive and cannot be recovered, then yes, there are many programs that can do this. The option is called file shredding, and many applications have it. I've just checked, and it's available in IOBit Uninstaller (in the menu, as "File Shredder"), but there are many other programs - particularly file utilities and antivirus programs - that have similar options.

CCleaner would not overwrite your hard drive in a way that would render your system useless (at least not from wiping the free space).

As far as the second part of your question, please explain what you mean by safely removing files from the hard drive? Do you want to securely delete files, delete stubborn files that can't be deleted? Or do you want to delete unnecessary files without affecting important system files?

Wiping free disk space
    http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space
    If you Choose Free Space Only option then it will not delete your system