How can I get the output of my laptop on my PC monitor?

Rohan Kumar October 10, 2012

I want to get the output of my laptop on my PC monitor using external hardware. I do not have a WiFi connection. My laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad L412 and both my PC and laptop are running 64-bit Windows 7.

1. Abba Jee

plugin your monitor's VGA into laptop VGA port

2. Aniket Singh
  3. Avinash

Buddy, according to ur laptop specification, you should be having a VGA port which should be on the right side of your system. You, first, should connect a VGA cable to the VGA port on ur monitor. Then, just select the screen sharing option in ur laptop & ur monitor. Then, selecting the screen sharing option, you can either look for an option to set up multiple displays or enable screen sharing. Select the clone setting to have the TV display the computer's desktop, or dual view to create an extension of your computer's screen.

4. Hesham Shaarawy

connect using VGA cable

5. April Eum

connect via hdmi or vga (even though vga is outdated)

6. Alex Perkins

There is a product that plugs into the laptop via USB and then into the monitor wirelessly, here:
    http://nerdreactor.com/2011/05/19/review-warpia-wireless-usb-pc-to-tv-audiovideo-display-adapter/

Hopefully this helps

When you turn on your monitor it checks for an active port. On screen it'll display "Digital Mode" (DVI) followed by "Analog Mode" (VGA). Some also have "High Definition Mode" (HDMI).

8. Jacob Mathew

First of all check the ports, both the laptop and the desktop. Read this article http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/video-cables-explained-difference-vga-dvi-hdmi-ports/
    Then see if you already have compatible cables and ports on both sides.If you do not have then you can easily buy a new one.

9. Gabriel Barron

It depends on what type of output connection your laptop has. Whether thats HDMI, vga... etc. Once you have the proper link connected from your pc to your tv. You should be able to get the monitor to show up by clicking "fn" key then usually an F5-F8" will be the one that switches the display from laptop to tv. It should also come with some options to choose from, duplicate the display, show only on projector (which would be tv in your case), show only on laptop, and extend the display (my favorite because i love using duel screens).
    Hope this helped.

10. mohan kumar

Connect a VGA cable from your LAPTOP to the monitor. Disconnect your Monitor from your desktop and use ( probably SHIFT+F5 OR Fn+F5) to toggle between display on laptop screen and external monitor

11. Bodi Hemanth

connect a vga cable to your monitor and choose the display mode in your laptop as dual mode from the display menu.

12. Imesh Chandrasiri

there is no method other than connecting your display to the laptop with the vga cable...

13. Christian Hering

Use a KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) adapter, it will allow you to use one keyboard, one mouse, and most importantly (in your case), the same monitor.

Just an example: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3472980&Sku=A225-1452

If your monitor has DVI and VGA connectors, use DVI for your PC and VGA for your laptop. Monitor has select input button to switch between them.

• Rohan Kumar

Actually i dont know whether my monitor is DVi or VGa . how can i check??

15. dhanunjayarao chunduri

16. Adrian Rea

Erlis, I think you are right to be confused. I would hope he had already thought of a cable. But I guess it may be that he would like to see the screen on his laptop through a window when using his PC which means setting up a link. It depends why tiy want to see the other screen on the monitor. Is it to spy, to assist another or something else

17. Erlis Dhima

I'm not quite sure if I understand well what you are asking, but if you have a vga output, just connect it using a vga cable with your pc monitor!