What is Outlook and how can I make it work with websites?

Barb June 5, 2010

I have Windows Vista. Some sites use Outlook to ask or answer questions. How can I get this program to work? Do I have to download this program, if so, where can I find it? Is it a default program?
Thank you.
Barb

Your welcome Barb. If you have an issues, please let us know so we can help you out further.

Tina is right. Outlook is a program on your computer and has nothing to do with websites apart from if a website has a link to an email address that starts with mailto:email@email.com, then it will open up Outlook which will most probably be your computers default email client.

So basically, you have a web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer that you use to visit websites such as Google.com and Facebook.com and you have an email client such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird, MS OUtlook 2007, Windows Live Writer.

With these email clients, you need to sign up with an email provider such as Gmail.com, Hotmail.com or Yahoo.com.

To signup to these, open your web browser, go to one of these websites and signup.
    Once you do that, follow the instructions on how you can use your email client such as Outlook to access your emails.

To get Outlook working, I suggest that you signup with Gmail.com and follow the instructions on this web page. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77689

If you are using another email client, select it from this webpage: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=75726

I hope you understand my response.

• Barb

Yes Jack, you explained this very well to me,, thank you for responding so quickly.
      I will let you know what I discovered with the information you provided,,
      Thank You
      Barb

Barb,

Outlook is an eMail program.
    It's probably your default eMail program, which is the reason websites ask for this program, when you click on a URL that is an eMail address. That URL tries to open your default eMail program, so that you can compose and send your question.

Are you actually using Outlook to send and receive mail? Since you say it's not working, I assume you don't.

I would just copy the eMail address and paste it to wherever you normally compose eMails. If you tell us what program that is we can tell you how to make that your default eMail program, so that websites will automatically take you there, rather than Outlook.