Why has Outlook stopped working since I installed Bitdefender anti virus?

Konstantinos Triantafyllidis November 27, 2014

After downloading and installing Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015, I found that my Outlook is not working. I get a message saying “Your server does not support the type of encryption you have specified…..” . I have not specified any encryption though. Please help.

1. David

This worked for me:

"Anyone that cannot access Outlook.com that has BitDefender installed, try the following:

- open the main Bitdefender interface and go to Settings (upper right corner)
    - from there click on Privacy Control
    - select the Antiphising tab
    - switch to OFF the option Scan SSL
    - close the Bitdefender interface and check if the issue persists"

Thank you David, your solution worked for me, but
      Is is bad to have Scan SSL off?

• Bruce E

If you trust the secure sites you visit, having that option turned off is not a big deal.

The first thing to to is to establish that there is a connection between the problem and the new AV. Disable real-time scanning (not sure what this is called in BitDefender, it may be called something like "Stop anti-virus) and try Outlook again.

If the problem continues, then it's unrelated to BitDefender. If it goes away, it's almost certainly something to do with the Firewall, so have a look in the firewall element of BitDefender and make sure that Outlook is whitelisted.

perhaps firewall problem, disable it
    http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=50263
    or firewall whould have white-list programs, you might want to add Outlook (OUtlook.exe file) to that list.

How to display the Antispam toolbar when it is not integrating in the email client
    http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-display-the-antispam-toolbar-when-it-is-not-integrating-in-the-email-client-793.html