Why won’t Outlook for Mac 2011 import emails?

Lu November 10, 2011

I am trying unsuccessfully to import my emails from Thunderbird on Mac to the Outlook for Mac 2011, which I stupidly purchased.

Outlook gives an option for import email messages from a text file, then has option “Import messages from an MBOX-format text file”. I exported my email messages from Thunderbird to an MBOX-format file and saved them in a separate folder.

But when I start the import wizard of the Outlook and follow the steps till “import messages from an MBOX-format text file” and come to the folder with the MBOX files, they remain gray and inactive.

I already tried importing .EML and other formats – same problem!  They remain grey and inactive for importing.

Can anyone share with me a tip or experience on how to import my 10 accounts with hundreds sub-folders into Outlook 2011 for Mac?