What happens to my Outlook eMails and contacts when I upgrade to Office 2010?
Question by b1 /

I have Office 2010 Professional Plus on DVD, all ready to load on my system. I already run Office 2003.

When I put the 2010 CD in the drive, it comes up and asks me for the product key, which I put in as it is 100% genuine. The next screen asks do I want to do an upgrade or a clean install.

If I upgrade, does it keep all of my eMail contacts and eMails etc. or do I need to save all of them? If I do a clean install, does it keep my contacts in Outlook safe?

Any help would be great!

In order to prevent damage then why you dont use an outlook backup soft such as ABF Outlook Backup http://www.outlookbackup.com/

Migrating nk2-file/AutoSuggest
    Outlook 2002/XP, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 make use of an nk2-file to store recently used addresses in which are used as an AutoSuggest/AutoComplete feature when addressing a new message. Outlook 2010 no longer uses an nk2-file for caching but stores these addresses in the Suggested Contacts folder in the Outlook mailbox itself.

When you upgrade to Outlook 2010, the nk2-file is automatically imported upon starting Outlook 2010 for the first time. When you create a new Outlook mail profile or when using Outlook on a new computer, you can import an existing nk2-file in the following way;

1.Copy the nk2-file to the following folder;
    ?Windows Vista and Windows 7
    ?Windows XP
    C:Documents and Settings%username%Application SettingsMicrosoftOutlook
    2.Rename the nk2-file to the name of your mail profile.
    To find out this name use the Mail applet in Control Panel and click on the Show Profiles… button.
    By default, your profile is called “Outlook”. So in that case you would call your file “outlook.nk2”.
    3.Start Outlook with the /importnk2 switch;
    ?Windows Vista and Windows 7
    Start-> type; outlook.exe /importnk2
    ?Windows XP
    Start-> Run; outlook.exe /importnk2
    4.Outlook will now process the nk2-file and import it into the Suggested Contacts folder. Outlook will automatically append .old to the nk2-file. So in our example it will now be called; outlook.nk2.old

• Godzonekid

If you do an upgrade it “should” keep your email, contacts etc. safe. However, if there is a hiccup in the installation you could lose some or all of these. That is why you should back up your data files to a non-pc data device i.e. usb stick, cd etc.

If you do a clean install it will overwrite everything so you have a vanilla 2010 installation. ALL data, emails, contacts, calendars etc are wiped.