Why does Outlook sometimes not complete the send receive process?

Alan Trinder August 5, 2012

Often my Outlook (Office 2007) does not complete the send/receive process although all email is present and no further emails will be received of transmitted. If I close Outlook the icon in the lower left of the screen becomes greyed out and will not work until the PC is restarted.

I have tried to fix by uninstalling then reinstalling but to no avail. Would love to sort out this problem, any advice is appreciated – thanks!

1. Russell Smith

Hi,
    To solve this problem, you must create a new send/receive group. If this approach becomes unable to resolve your problem then it might be the degradation in performance.
    Feel free to reply me if same happens with you.

Regards
    Russell Smith

2. Rob Hindle

I have seen a very rare situation where a non-standard character code in a message or attachment causes a similar effect. Example: on a UK Microsoft windows system hold down alt and enter 0165 on the numeric pad to get the Yen symbol (here unless something in the MUO system blocks it: ¥). It's possible to enter control codes that way and they could screw things up. But that's one heck of a long-shot!

Why not move to Thunderbird!

• Alan Trinder

I think you are right Rob. I think it is related to some specific content.
      I have never used Thunderbird but doubt it comes anything close to Outlooks spelling etc. Will try it on the net-book to see. Many thanks for your help.

• Rob Hindle

You may be pleasantly surprised by Thunderbird once you overcome the big obstacle that it's just not what you're used to. It does things differently and change, even change to something better (not saying T'bird is better, opinions differ), is uncomfortable.

There are plenty of add-ons available (and It does have spellcheck).

However the real reason for suggesting you try T'bird is to see if you can get the same problem you have with Outlook. The answer may help along the road to diagnosis.

BTW can you recreate the problem on demand? e.g. do you have a specific email that if you try to resend it will hang Outlook?

Re-reading your question you write "does not complete the send/receive process..." I'm not sure what you're saying - does all the mail get sent and all the incoming arrive OK? Is it possible there's a corrupted inbound email on the mailserver and every time Outlook tries to fetch it, it throws a wobbler? Alternatively do you have a correspondent sending you a regular email that arrives OK but causes a problem? (That was the rare circumstance I'd encountered previously, it was a regular newsletter and the guy who sent it said some recipients were having a problem and asked me to investigate - the outcome here: schmoller.net/mailings/20031222.html in brief: some email clients are known to "stick" on nul codes.)

3. Alan Trinder

I have looked and despite using automatic update my copy is service pack 1, maybe adding the later service packs would help.I find now this seems to be a process related issue and can resolve it via task manger (although I don't see why I should have to given the cost of Microsoft office).

Have you looked at the taskbar and saw that outlook and it's related process were not running?It might be due to many addins(security software like antivirus addins) that had got installed by various softwares.So try removing the unnecessary ones.For this,you need administrative rights.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

Your problem didn't got fixed as you installed the same version of Outlook and not updated version of it.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm

• John Park

May be synchronization problem so first check sending & receiving sever properly connected or not. or Check Firewall setting or may be service pack problem or virus infected or outlook corrupted. It may be possible your pst file size increase. so read this article http://pstrepairtool.blogspot.com