What OS do you think is best for the PC?

Drsunil V May 10, 2014

Which operating system for PC would you recommend? Please tell whether Windows or Linux (and specify version/distro) or any other OS?

Sunil,

A relative question. Will depend on the level of your IT skill, the nature of work you will do. I must say that over the couple of years I have observed your learning curve on IT, it has been very impressive from a novice user to a power user. Congratulations!!! Also I see that you have a curiosity to learn new IT skills everyday. Now taking for granted that you will be using the PC on a more regular stuff like Internet and office productivity stuff, why don't you give Linux a shot this time. Should be a very interesting learning again for you. If you decide on Linux, I shall highly recommend Ubuntu Linux. Do check the system requirements first. Download from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

• Drsunil V

Thanks! I have noted your reply for Linux - Ubuntu. I have read that many persons like Ubuntu. I would look into the link and may try installing it. I am using two pcs and both are in dual boot. Please tell , is it safe to install ubuntu in triple-boot?

• Rajaa C

Should be OK with a triple boot. But do create a new partition in the HDD for it. Before doing it, take a full backup of your data, and do google and see guide of how to do it. Also what are the other two OS in the dual boot currently?

• Bruce E

Multi-booting a PC is not that difficult. With my primary machine, I have Windows 7 (for gaming), Fedora 20, Linux Mint 13, Linux Mint 16, and Ubuntu 12.04. I will be adding Ubuntu 14.04 soon to check it out and then removing one of the Ubuntus. Since I am using GPT, I don't need to mess around with extended partitions and all of the Linux distros are using the same swap partition. I use GRUB2 as my bootloader.

Although I do have some files in the home directories for each Linux system, the vast majority of the data I use between all of them is stored in ~/data which is where I mount a 6TB LVM2 volume (2 x 3TB raw drives).

• Drsunil V

@Rajaa C : Thanks bhai. I have done disk partition on both pcs where I have installed additional os for dual boot. In one pc , i had to use EasUS disk partition manager. In one pc , the dual boot is xp with 7 Ultimate. Another pc is dual-boot 7 Home Basic with Win 8. @Bruce E : Thanks. Please tell , are you sure that triple boot machine function smoothly without hanging / freezing / instability problems? If i remember correctly , I had read recently in MUO answers that greater than dual-boot de-stabilizes the system. Please clarify with weblinks to support your answer. regards, sunil

• Bruce E

I don't have links for others doing this. All of this is based on my experience with my own machines.

Having multiple operating systems on a single machine does not destabilize anything. If there are any kind of stability or reliability issues, it is normally affecting a single OS, not all of them. The only real problem I have ever had with dual- or multi-booting Windows with any operating systems is that if Windows needs to be reinstalled, it's going to trash the bootloader. So if you ever need to reinstall Windows on a multi-boot system, make sure you back up the current boot config files and you know how to manually reinstall GRUB/GRUB2.

The only thing I have found that requires care is the order of installation. Oldest Windows versions to the latest are installed first, then any Linux systems I want. Until Windows 8, Microsoft's bootloaders have remained ignorant of non-Microsoft operating systems as well as bootloaders for their newer operating systems and will frequently overwrite what is already there without importing the old configuration into the new bootloader. For example, installing Windows XP after Vista, 7, or 8 will overwrite the existing bootloader and make it so only Windows XP can be started. Installing any version of Windows on a system with an existing Linux setup will overwrite the GRUB/GRUB2 bootloader with the Windows one which cannot chainload GRUB. So installing all flavors of Linux last ends up being the easiest since you don't need to manually reinstall GRUB2 after Windows is done destroying it.

• Drsunil V

@Bruce E : Its okay that you did not mention weblink. Sure if you have tried yourself , it is nice to know that it works. I got your points about order of installation. Please tell , what you mentioned as no problem is implied for dual boot ( as your para mentions about two systems ) or is it no problem even for triple boot?

• Bruce E

It doesn't matter how many are in the boot setup. My primary system currently has five different operating systems (pentaboot?) installed on it and it runs flawlessly.

• Drsunil V

@Bruce E : you being knowledgeable in technology field , i assume your system might be having advanced processor , RAM , storage , Graphic Drivers......Please tell are the criteriae mentioned responsible for how flawlessly multi-boot runs on system?

• Bruce E

The only influence hardware specs have is how well each OS will work with it. As long as it meets the minimum standard for each OS there should not be a problem. In the late 90s, I had a 166 Mhz Pentium system with 4MB RAM, a VESA VGA card and a 200MB hard drive set up so I could use MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and an early version of RedHat depending on what I wanted to do.

Even today, I still have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 with a 200 MHz Pentium that is running DOS/Windows 3.1 or Windows 98 that I use to play Grave Yardage and one of the original Red Baron games. Even emulators run them too fast on modern systems. Running Red Baron in DOSBox on my primary system, taking off from France would put me over Russia in about 20 seconds. This system also has OS/2 Warp on the primary drive and Xenix on another physical hard drive but it has been ages since I have used either of those operating systems.

So as long as each OS would be able to run as the sole operating system on your hardware, it should not give you any grief at all to install all of them as part of a multi-boot system.

• Dr.sunil V

@Bruce Epper : I agree that irrespective of low or high specs , it is how each OS is compatible , is what would make any OS run , even if the specs are low and workstation is old

2. dragonmouth

"Linux may be off-putting for some people"
    It is off-putting only to those that are used to another O/S (Windows, OS/X). Casual computer users who don’t have a clue what browser they’re using and just want to use email and maybe do some shopping will be equally at home on or equally perplexed by a Windows PC or a Linux PC. A new O/S is off-putting when we switch to it not because it is hard to learn but because the old habits are hard to un-learn. Long time Linux users have as much trouble learning Windows as long time Windows users have learning Linux.

The popular misconception, fostered mainly by Windows fanatics, is that computer illiterate beginners will find using Windows easy because it comes pre-installed while Linux must be laboriously installed. PCs do come with Linux pre-installed (ex. System 76) The learning curve of any pre-installed O/S is about the same for someone who is computer illiterate. After all, none of us were born with the knowledge of any particular O/S.

3. Ben S

It really depends on your needs.

Windows is far and away the most common desktop OS, and it's accessible to pretty much any type of user. From casual computer users who don't have a clue what browser they're using and just want to use email and maybe do some shopping, Windows is just fine. On the other hand, it's also used by programmers and businesses, so it has a variety of user types.

Linux, on the other hand, is completely free. There are so many versions of Linux that nobody could name them all, but the great thing about that is there's different versions for different things. Ubuntu and Mint are some of the best for beginners, and since they're widely used there's lots of help for them online. However, Linux may be off-putting for some people. If they're not used to it, basic things like installing a new program may seem difficult.

Gaming is another consideration. Windows is by far your best option if you're looking to game, though Steam seems to be getting Linux versions for a lot more games recently.

There's no way you can say which desktop OS is "the best." If you have Windows and are happy with it, that's great. If you prefer Linux because it's free or because you have an older system that needs a resource-light Linux distro, that's great too.

As far as versions of Windows, I still love Windows 7. Vista is a pain and wouldn't be readily available nowadays anyway; and 8/8.1 I'm still not keen on. You can easily make 8 more like 7 with some free tools, though.

I haven't mentioned Mac OS X here since I assume it wasn't one you were considering.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for your sincere endeavor to reply to my query. Please tell , is ubuntu as feature rich as win 8?

• Ben S

What features are you looking for? It doesn't have as much of the "social" aspect as Windows 8 does, what with the Modern apps focusing on things like sports and food. But it can be customized to fit your needs.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell , are common and huge library of web apps as available for Windows 8 , are also available for Linux ( Ubuntu ) platform. For example , are apps like Facebook , Google maps , News are available for Linux too? And , what about antiviruses like Avast and Chrome Browser for Linux , available?