What’s the origins of the Symbian opearting system’s name?

kevin gnanaraj October 20, 2012

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I was wondering where the name Symbian came from. Is it maybe a reference to it being a fork of debian for “SIM” cards or does it signify the symbiotic relationship of sorts between phone software and hardware?

1. Priya Agarwal
  2. Drew Butler

This thread is very interesting.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah I knew when Symbian originated but not how the name came to be..

Psion software created a joint venture with several mobile hardware manufacturers, Ericsson®, Motorola®, and Nokia® called Symbian and eventually took on the name Symbian Software, renaming EPOC32 Symbian OS.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-symbian-os.htm

• kevin gnanaraj

This helped...not the complete answer...but it doesn't look like I'm going to get what I want though. Thanks anyway.

Psion released its Series 3 devices from 1991 to 1998 EPOC16 OS, also known as SIBO (perhaps origin of Symbian).

• kevin gnanaraj

Now we're starting to get somewhere! I looked it up, but there doesn't seem to be anything relating to the origins of the name. Psion is a British company, so foreign language isn't that likely unless it's Gaelic or Welsh . Maybe Nokia at the beginning of the venture suggested it...Is "Symbian" in the Finnish language?

Before the Series 5, SIBO referred solely to the hardware architecture used by the Series 3, et al, and EPOC referred to the operating system. When the Series 5 was released by Psion, and Symbian was formed to develop the software for it, the decision was made to have EPOC refer only to the new 32-bit version of the operating system, and SIBO was to perform double-duty to refer to the both the hardware architecture and the 16-bit version of the operating system. The name EPOC was re-used for the Arms based 32 bit OS which is now known as Symbian OS. EPOC simply become Symbian OS.
          http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/pdas/psion/sibo/

i dont know if the word Symbian exist in finnish, i think it it should retain the SIBO name plus the join (symbiotic relationship, 1998 Psion, Ericsson, Nokia and Motorola form Symbian) that gave the group in order to make the OS.

2000 Ericsson R380 first mobile phone using Symbian OS is released
          2004 Psion sells its share of ownership over Symbian and leaves the alliance

He is asking how did the word 'symbian' originated.

• kevin gnanaraj

Exactly!

4. rajaspidey

may be because it was joint venture of nokia, Samsung & moto I early days. symbiotic = symbian

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

dude, read the following article. has everything you need to know about simbian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian#History

• kevin gnanaraj

It doesn't have the answers to my question-how did they come up with "Symbian"? I understand that it was the name of the company and the OS name was changed to it, but who came up with "Symbian" in the first place and where did they get it from?