How can I best organize my files via tags instead of folders in Windows 7?

syed March 8, 2011

I want to organize thousands of files via tagging system rather than just different folders. I am able to bring up “Tags” column in Windows 7, but am unable to edit that information.

I believe this was possible in Windows Vista, but was removed in Windows 7. I was hoping it’s still somewhere in Windows 7 or a 3rd party software allows for this. Also I’d want a mass tagging method.

Thanks in advance.

1. Phillip

hi, you may also want to try out http://www.taggtool.com, it allows you to add tags to files AND folders.

Regards,

Phillip

Syed,

did you try any of the above suggestions? Which one did you like best and did any solve your question completely? Let us know!

3. Andrei

I would just insert the tags in the filename :)

Hello, not all files support tags. Within the files supporting tags are audio and image formats. Also, Office documents and other file types. The following is a method of organizing files and folders using tags. You will have to find out which files support tagging:

-- set up explorer so that it has the Details pane visible following the next steps:
    -- click Organize
    -- layout
    -- Details Pane
    -- click the file you want to tag in the file list
    -- click in the Tag field
    -- type a tag. If you want to add multiple tags, separate each tag by a semi-colon after each tag.
    -- click Save button or press Enter.

If the files are of the same type, you can apply the same tag to multiple files by doing the following:
    -- hold Control key while clicking each file you wish to tag
    -- click in the Tag field
    -- type a tag
    -- if tagging multiple files, add a semi-colon after each tag
    -- click on save or press enter to save

As a possible solution using third party software, you can try the following link:
    http://www.tag2find.com/learnmore.0.html