How can I organize my download folder?
Question by Austin /

Is there a way to organize my download folder easily or maintain it, so I don’t have an assortment of different files ALWAYS ending up together and unorganized?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , .
Awesome Websites
Awesome Websites
Best Anonymity Tools
Best Anonymity Tools
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
New Security Breaches
New Security Breaches
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• Jack Cola

I know there are addons for Firefox, but I don’t use any. The best thing to do, is once you download something, put it in a folder that you have created to sort things through. Eg Music, WordPress Addons, Programs etc.

• Jessica Cam W.

MakeUseOf has a good post on organizing your folders.

For Windows, I have found a few other free options:*Open source, Drop It: “A tiny, flexible, hard-working tool to automate sorting and filing data files and folders. “*Open source, Belvedere: “Use the Belvedere friendly interface to create advanced rules to move, copy, delete, rename, or open files based on their name, extension, size, creation date, and more.”*Donationware, Move Out: “y. Use it to make a rule that moves files from the desktop to a subfolder, based on file type, part of a filename, or whatever. Have it ask to replace existing files, or rename them.” I hope at least one of them does what you need!

• Bakari

Austin, one of the programs I use (for the Mac) Hazel. It’s not free, but it will organize any folder on your hard drive. You can arrange particular kinds of files to be copied or moved to designated folders. It will clean out files from folder based on the rules you set up for it.

If you’re Windows user, I’m sure there’s a similar application that does the same thing.

Oh, also, if you’re a Mac user, you might the free Automator that comes installed with Snow Leopard. With Automator, you can apply a folder action (see this article for some ideas: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-useful-tips-for-organizing-electronic-files-mac-only/) to your Downloads folder and do a few things similar to Hazel.

• Josh Fox

If you’re talking about downloads from your browser, saving the different types of files into sorted folders would probably be the easiest way.

If you mean from torrent downloads, you can setup categories to automatically sort them, depending on what program you use.