What are my options for transferring my Yahoo mail to another service besides GMail?

Anonymous May 5, 2014

A couple days ago Yahoo changed their email program. Yahoo no longer wants to support browsers that are based on Google Chrome. I do not like Google’s email program either. Also the browser I am using is not Chrome. It is based on Chrome but it is a browser that Comodo Internet Security has. Now, while I do not like Google’s web browser or gmail, I do like Yahoo’s main page. Also my Yahoo email I have had since I bought my first computer back in 2000. So what I would like to know, is there a different website that I can import all my Yahoo mail over to that offers a main page similar to Yahoo and supports my Chrome-based browser other than Internet Explorer, Firefox, Outlook, or AOL? Also, with what I have to pay for a satellite service out here in the country, it would be best if it was free. Also, just had a thought, is it possible to create my own custom homepage?

1. Hunter S

If you want to keep your Yahoo mail, you can always try Thunderbird, a Mozilla mail program (like Outlook on Office or like any mail app). Its filtering and folder options are unsurpassed, IMHO. It supports IMAP/POP3 of any webmail (just enable those options in your mail account).

If you want a completely new service, I highly suggest Outlook.com -- yes, similar to the mail program, But it is a functional webmail. VERY clean, nice reading pane layouts, as minimal as you can get.

In addition to tying it to Microsoft or Xbox accounts, you can create a nearly infinite number of "aliases." Think of a new email address, but it receives newsletters and your full email account never gets spammed! I have one for random comments like this, one for linked in newsletters, and a third for online job applications.

I wish you luck! @twobree

Outlook.com. It has an option to "import" your mail which is not actually a one-time import but exactly what you are after, it will pick up your mail from Yahoo and will allow you to use it as if you were logged onto Yahoo directly.

• Dale N

well i am really not sure that is why i am asking questions. like i was not aware that outlook and outlook.com were different. i have had experience with microsoft's outlook which ever one that is. my feeling when i was using it was that you could tell it was put together by people that thought you should use it just because who made it and whether you liked it or not really did not matter to them. just like when windows 7 came out and they made all the different versions, but did not tell everyone that the low end priced versions did not include all the admin tools or the ability to change policy rules. they more or less decided that if someone could not afford the higher end product then they did not need to be able to tailor fit it to them. any company that thinks that way really does not deserve my loyalty. that is how yahoo's new email program is making me feel. if i had not had that address for 14 years and in those years it has become my online identity i would just dump it. in the end i may just have to do that and start all over again.

• Bruce E

If it is just a matter of not liking how Yahoo's webmail interface looks or behaves, you can always choose to use a desktop client such as Outlook, Microsoft Mail or LIve Mail, or Thunderbird to access it on your computers. And if it is configured to use IMAP instead of POP3 for your incoming mail, you can still use the web interface when you don't have access to your computer to get at the exact same emails you have in the desktop client. The difference between the 2 protocols is that POP3 will allow you to download your email and either automatically delete them from the server after downloading them or only after you have deleted them from your local copy of the inbox while IMAP will synchronize the contents of the mailbox on the server and that in your local client. IMAP lets you move messages between folders and keeps them identical in both places. If you use POP3 and move a message from one folder to another, it is only reflected at the location where you made that move.

I would think your best bet would be to look at your different options for a local client and pick the one with the interface you prefer and that works the way you want it to, then set it up to work with your existing Yahoo account via IMAP.

• Oron J

I have little to add to Bruce's reply. Outlook.com is the new name for Hotmail, and has nothing to do with Outlook (or Outlook Express) other than the similar name. Microsoft seem to excel (sorry, pun not intended) in producing products with confusing names.
      Anyway, to the point, Outlook.com is actually a very nice email service with a clean (if occasionally confusing) interface. It's a good option, or, as Bruce said, you can use a desktop mail programming in IMAP mode.

3. Rajaa C

Sign up for Outlook.com at http://www.outlook.com . It is free, very clean interface, works with Chrome, has free MS Office Web Apps integrated along with OneDrive. What more can I ask for? Also you can integrate your social media like FaceBook if you want to.

Import Yahoo Mail to Outlook.com

http://blogs.office.com/2014/04/16/outlook-com-customers-can-now-import-their-email-from-yahoo-mail/

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/04/16/microsoft-now-lets-outlook-com-users-import-imap-enabled-email-providers-including-yahoo-mail/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/outlook/yahoo-imap

• Dale N

i am sorry but i do believe that i did ask for options other than internet explorer, firefox, outlook, or aol. i guess i was not clear on that point though not sure of any clearer way to put it. what about the postbox program i have been reading about on this site?

• Bruce E

@Dale: Outlook and Outlook.com are two different beasts. Outlook is a desktop email client while Outlook.com is webmail on steroids. I guess the real question boils down to do you want a webmail replacement or do you wish to switch to a desktop application such as Postbox?

• Rajaa C

@ Dale : Outlook is the email client of Microsoft, while Outlook.com is the free email service from Microsoft replacing Hotmail.com . You can use it's web interface via any browser and the web address is http://www.outlook.com or you can optionally configure it with any email client like Windows mail client, MS Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora mail client, etc. I hope this clears the confusion. :)