How can I get two operating systems to boot on one computer and come up on a dual monitor setup?

Kyle MacDonald August 9, 2011

Many of my professors at school have this set up. On one monitor they have Windows XP and the other they have Ubuntu. They can move the cursor easily between the two like it is simply a dual monitor setup with one OS. How do they do that? Is it a program that they have or is it done through hardware?

1. Kyle MacDonald

Thanks you very much. When school starts I will ask. They my be doing the virtual player but it runs so smoothly that I think it might be what James Bruce said. 

I will try both and see what I like best.

They may actually be running two PCs under the desk too, sharing the mouse and keyboard with a small app called Synergy. http://synergy-foss.org/

Just as Sonny said, install Virtualbox. Then find the operating system you want to use inside of VirtualBox, such as Ubuntu. Be sure to download the ISO image if possible.

Then open up VirtualBox, chose "New" and name the system, chose how much ram and HD space you want to give it. It will ask you where the "media source" is located, click the folder icon to find the ISO image that you downloaded and begin installing the operating system. 

4. Sonny Bass

VirtualBox is the way I have that set up. I don't know of any way to get a computer to boot more than one OS at a time.