How do I keep operating system and stored data on different partitions?

Mudge June 5, 2010

I’ve read that keeping your OS and data on separate partitions can improve PC function. Where can I get the “ins-and-outs” of such a procedure? My environment is Windows XP, SP3.

I just answered a question just before, you may want to read my response. http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/format-hard-dr...Advantages of doing it:*If you need to format your OS, you don't lose your files*Easier to manage and share filesDisadvantage*You have to move your files over to the new partition* May not have enough free space to partition your HDD in the first place*Once HDD may run out of space and you have to move your files around* if the OS partition runs out of space, it will slow your PC downI have and always have split my HDD into two. One has the OS and programs, the other has all my documents, pics, vids and music.I did run out of space on my document HDD which meant I had to move some files over to the other HDD which was a pain since I now had to locations on where my files are. Now I purchased an external eSata HDD that sits into the bay on top of my computer and I use that now.I hope this helps a bit.

In regards to doing it on Windows XP, my friend gave me a disc around 2004 which I use to partition the HDD. So I use that, not sure of anything else that I have used to recommend.

• Mudge

Thanks for your "Advantages . . . Disadvantages . . . tips & links." Through the links I got quite a bit of info and believe I'm well on my way in the right direction. I now only need to find a safe way to process it.

Mudge