Does any operating system specialize in downloading?

prathmesh ghadigaonkar August 19, 2012

I only want to play a URL into an operating system and download as quick as possible. I only use this PC for downloading. Is there an operating system that will make things quicker?

1. rama moorthy

always use the latest version of OS you having ..

I am having 3 OS , Xp, win7 and ubuntu ..
    my internet speed in XP is 1MBPS down and 1.2 MBPS in Up.. in win7 1.5 MBPS in down and 1.9 MBPS in up . and in ubuntu the same .
    but I use Ubuntu for downloading files larger than 1 GB .. which does not sucks ..

2. ReĆ½ Aetar

if only for downloading then use windows xp as there are lots of download managers for it and it is low on resources ,
    though you wont see any speed improvements but yes they give more options for download management

3. josemon maliakal

Linux based operating systems are better for this job, specially Ubuntu ..here something to read about them http://www.texplod.com/ubuntu-the-best-choice-for-humans/

• muotechguy

Justify that comment, please. There is absolutely nothing that makes linux technically more capable to any other OS for downloading, as far as I know.

4. AbdgStywn

No operating system exclusively for download. Operating system is designed to support many purposes such as office, computing, games, Internet connection, etc.
    Fast or slow your Internet access does not depend on what operating system you use.
    If you want to download faster, I'd like to suggest you to use DownThemAll Firefox add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/id/firefox/addon/downthemall/. This add-on can accelerate download process. But still, you must have an adequate Internet connection, at least 153Kbps download speed.

Everything will still depend on your internet connection itself. Most systems spend time idling while downloading files because of the limited amount of data that can be transferred to the system for processing but if you want to ensure that nothing on the system could be causing any sort of delays, you would be best served by setting up a system using a custom Linux build that has only the components necessary for downloading files and doing everything from the command line instead of using any windowing system (no GUI).