What is the best operating system to host a game on a server?

Saad September 23, 2011

I want to make a server to host a game (homehost) and I just don’t know which operating system is the best for this thing. Thank you in advance.

I agree with Jeffery.

Debian is always a good and safe choice last but not least because of the huge support and lots of resources you can find. 

Gentoo is probably more of an expert choice for maximum performance using machine optimized binaries and I heard mixed reports about game servers on CentOS.

The best thing to do is read through the games dedicated server instructions and use what they are based on (you may also want to pay attention to the system and network requirements).

I've always used Debian for my server projects (I've never hosted a gaming server though). I would recommend a Linux Distribution, not only because their flexible, reliable, secure, highly supported and free, but because most game server hosting companies prefer a Linux based distribution. The game does not need to run on the server (so Linux is fine), it only needs to provide content. 

Other recommendations of mine include FedoraGentoo and CentOS. If you have more than 4GB's of ram, you should chose a 64 bit distribution.