What’s the best operating system to develop for?

shaurya gupta September 8, 2012

In the near future, which is the best OS to develop for? Is it cloud or Windows 8 or Android or what? Which language to use? Or is there something better than programming? Like ethical hacking or web developing?

1. Noah Brisson

It depends on your knowledge of programming and what languages you know. For instance if you don't know Objective C. IOS programming is basically out until you learn it. The easiest is probably android. Pc is also not too complicated. Web development might be the most versatile because it will work on all computers as well as phones.

2. shaurya gupta

Thanx all of you. I will use html 5 to develop for ios and windows 8.

• HLJonnalagadda

Thats a good choice.

3. Kao Vang

iOS is huge but also huge in competition as well. Windows 8 may or may not be successful but there's a market for that.

There was a time when the Apple App Store was number one in apps but I can't deny, since I've gotten my Android tablet, that the Google Play still is not lacking either. I can only imagine the Windows marketplace grow as well.

4. venkatp16

It will be definitely Opensource..... Ethical hacking is good if you to enter into security stream

5. Swaggrous Emeks

My option would be IOS, Linux and Windows but i think you should go for windows because of its popularity and usage.

6. Harshit Jain

next option is windows phone 8 and ios.:-)

7. Mahkoe

Linux is very open and developer friendly, and unless you want to sell your application, don't bother with windows. In my experience you'll have a better time in Linux, then you can move on to windows if you need cash. I personally don't like web based apps because I don't always have an internet connection.

8. rchard2scout

From what I've heard, your best option is learning HTML5. This will allow your app to be used on iOS, Windows 8 (desktop and mobile), Android 4.0+ and any other modern web-enabled device.

9. Oluwaphemmy Popoola

Windows...... you will get enough sales considering to popularity and wide usage

10. Usman Mubashir

If I were you, I'd defiantly like to go for Win 8, there is a lot of hype around and the temp. is rising after success of its previews.For further support, goto MS dev center
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/

Saurya,

Yes, iOS Apps Store is already big with over 6.5 Lakhs application and similarly Google Play has over 6 Lakhs applications. They are hugely popular platform and well established. Also, there are very good developers on this platform from India.

However, Windows Marketplace for Windows 8 for Desktop and Tablets is the next big thing. Currently it has around 1.1 Lakh applications and the oppurtunity is huge. Moreover, the development tools for this platform is well established and the skillset is available. Windows 8 is expected to be a very successful platform for Microsoft in the near coming times.

Regarding ethical hacking, we have our very own Ankit Fadia as a role model. Big security companies keep them under their pay to test their security solutions. Even big corporations employ them for testing the security of their network. You can just google "ethical hacking courses in (your city name)" and you can get lot of options listed. Some are http://www.ankitfadia.in/afceh.html , http://www.netcommsindia.com/training-ec-council-ethical-hacker.html , http://www.isoeh.com/ , etc.

I hope this helps.