What is the best operating system for an Asus EEE PC 2G Surf?

Andrew September 2, 2010

I have an Asus EEE 2G Surf (with a 2G SD card) and wanted to update the software. I was using the original Xandros / Debian Linux, but deleted that now.

I tried to install Jolicloud 1.0, after seeing a MUO article, but can’t get it to work. It crashes on start up. Should I persist, or rather try Easy Peasy, Leenux-Linux or Puppeee. Are there others? Which one is the best?

Has anyone got Jolicloud working on a 2G Surf? If so, how are the drives partitioned?

Thanks.

1. PC Rescue

Thanks ha14 and Andrew, that was my problem too.
    I followed Andrew's solution and all boots fine now without having to put the USB stick in the machine :)

2. Voxautomation

I have the ASUS EEEPC 701. I Added a 16G SD card. I run XP Pro SP2 just fine. I also run PUPPY LINUX 4 on it as well, which I run from a USB stick. With the XP, I am watching Netflix streaming over WiFi on Google Chrome flawlessly, log in and administer my business server over Remote Desktop, and stream video files from the server. This the best little net book ever made IMHO.

3. Andrew

@ha14 thanks - that was it.

I a terminal (ALT+F1) then cd to /etc
    Typed "sudo gedit fstab"
    typed in my password when it asked for it and changed sdc1 to sdb1 and sdb to sdc.

After that Jolicloud booted up fine.

Prior to that I installed puppeee. It worked well too and is amazingly small leaving space for other files etc. I have, however, decided to stick with Jolicloud for now as it is simpler (I use the eee at meetings etc and don't have time to experiment etc.). I usually have most of the documents I need on a thumb drive or in the cloud. Jolicloud looks good too and the updating is very simple.

Hi

possible hda becamed sda, and sda becamed sdb

Therefore you need to redo your /etc/fstab so that fsck is not misled, and mount your partitions to be properly

try
    sudo parted /dev/sda unit chs print
    sudo parted /dev/sdb unit chs print

Based on the responses you'll get, you will see what filesystem of your partitions.
    Thus you will be able to edit your/etc/fstab to match again at the disposal of your partitions.

or
    to avoid doing a fsck check during bootup! in the pass column for /dev/hda3 i put a 0 instead of a 1. that just bypasses the fsck check.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3098172.0

• Andrew

ha14, thanks for the suggestions. I tried the partition install and also followed other guides on the forum. I still have not had success with Jolicoud 1.0. Get a 'fsck' error 8 on bootup?

6. ukohara

well i used asus in my office in an emergency project so i dont remember the model number but all models look alike. though my experience was not pleasent coz u cannot entertain properly on the small screen and keyboard and mouse. one should not buy a notebook just coz it is easy in mobility. well its my view..

the only good thing was the operating system which was Microsoft xp service pack 2.. so try to use it. it's easy to learn and has not any technical nightmares associated. don't requires so much space and runs fine even in 264 MB of ram.

• Andrew

Yes, a lite version of windows XP is also an option. I should have included that.

7. Josh Fox

According to the Jolicloud website, it's compatible with the EeePC series. Does it give you an error message when it crashes?

Normally, I would suggest Ubuntu, but I think it has too high of storage space requirements.

• Andrew

Hi Josh, some of the linux options are ubuntu derivatives I think. The message I get is long, but starts with something about "fsck died with exit staus 8" and "file system check failed". This may be a function of the installation partitioning and drive labels?

Regards
      Andrew