How can I open Windows software in Linux Mint?

Kim Kluthe November 21, 2011

What do I need to do to open Windows software, games and etc in Linux? I loaded Wine and a couple other suggested programs but I am still getting errors like “Access blocked” and “could not locate autorun” when trying to run software. I did not realize how limited Linux was. I also need a free solution because I can’t afford most paid ones. Any help would be great, thanks!

First find linux version/alternative of those software.
    open-offlice for ms office is one example
    then go for options if you can't find linux software.
    you may try vmware.

http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/11/05/6-free-tools-to-help-you-run-windows-applications-on-linux.html

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/02/five-ways-to-use-windows-apps-in-linux.html#!/2007/02/five-ways-to-use-windows-apps-in-linux.html

3. kym

Thanks Jeff. Gonna try that right now. I'm sure though that the permissions will say something like "permissions for this object are uncertain", or something to that effect. So, back to square one which is, I have a really hard time going into that "terminal" and doing ANYTHING! lol It's so different, like learning to walk on your hands! Linux is very cool and I'm not sure what I was referring to when I said it was limited. There's lots of things to download but I'm doing everything it tells me to do and only 1/3 of my stuff loads. We'll see! Thanx again.

• Jeff

No problem! Don't be afraid of the command line, it's exactly like a user interface, just without the user interface. (: You can do everything you can do in a UI and more in the command line, much easier.

I'm on Mint right now as well, I couldn't be happier.  You may want to checkout the 5 Excellent Downloadable eBooks To Teach Yourself Linux, which are free. Also, if you just installed Mint, consider reading one of the "What To Do After Installing Mint/Ubuntu" articles, which generally get you up to speed on what software you need.

PlayOnLinux is another Windows emulator, which is available in the repo's from your software manager.

Let me know if you need anything!
      - Jeff

4. Jeff

Hi Kim,

Linux is far from limited. However, anytime you try to run an application in an environment where it wasn't designed to run, you're going to have problems. Firstly, you need to make sure the setup/application file you're trying to launch is actually opening with Wine. To check, right click on the file and chose "Properties". Then, in the "open with" tab, select Wine.

Next, in the permissions tab, make certain that the "Allow program to run as executable" is checked and press Ok.

It may also help to install "Wine Tricks", which will add a few run time libraries adding to the software availability.

- Jeff